Episodic White Screen on MacBook

Reaction score
Screen goes bright white when I move lid--no visible sign of desktop items. Then when I close lid, reopen and wake, the desktop appears as expected. Rinse, repeat (problem is easy to recreate). BTW, desktop doesn't always reappear on resume, but usually I can get it to show up.

Some sort of cable issue?

MacBook Core 2 Duo A1181

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some sort of cable issue?

That's what I would suspect. Go to www.ifixit.com and take a look at their take apart instructions which will give you a good idea of where all the cables and connectors are.

And Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

Reaction score
Take it to the Apple Store and see if there’s a problem that’s covered under the soon-to-end repair program for laptops. My mid-2011 laptop wouldn’t boot. Turns out the logic board had a problem. My problems were not what other people were finding online who were also covered by the program (I had googled “Apple laptop graphics crash”). And the $310 repair was covered under the program--free repair by Apple is nice.

Program ends mid-February.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Take it to the Apple Store and see if there’s a problem that’s covered under the soon-to-end repair program for laptops. My mid-2011 laptop wouldn’t boot. Turns out the logic board had a problem. My problems were not what other people were finding online who were also covered by the program (I had googled “Apple laptop graphics crash”). And the $310 repair was covered under the program--free repair by Apple is nice.

Program ends mid-February.

Again. OP has a 2008 MacBook. This model is not covered under this program:

- computer is too old
- computer is a MacBook not a MacBook Pro
- computer has a 13" display.

ONLY 2011 15" and 17" MacBook Pro's and 15" retina MacBook Pro's from mid-2012 to Early 2013 are covered.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
That's what I would suspect. Go to www.ifixit.com and take a look at their take apart instructions which will give you a good idea of where all the cables and connectors are.

And Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

Hey, thanks chscag! I have checked out that site and seen their "MacBook Core 2 Duo Inverter Cable Replacement" guide. Looks easy, actually. I'm just not sure if this is the source of my problem, or not, and if so, is it the Inverter Cable I need to replace? Sigh... :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
When the inverter cable commonly fails, the backlight fails causing a black screen. Shining a torch on the LCD will show a very dim image, not the OP's issue. One possibility is the cable from the rear of the LCD that wraps around the hinge before exiting behind the optical drive and connecting to the logic board.

OP
A
Reaction score
When the inverter cable commonly fails, the backlight fails causing a black screen. Shining a torch on the LCD will show a very dim image, not the OP's issue. One possibility is the cable from the rear of the LCD that wraps around the hinge before exiting behind the optical drive and connecting to the logic board.

Thanks for the reply!

Right, so it must be the Display Data Cable. Thing is, i can't find any new ones out there, only used on eBay. Sigh :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.