emails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
huh... have a very odd issue. along with a few other things going on... guess GRINGE is visiting and causing me upset.

anyway. I created and saved an email on MacBook. so it is sitting in my draft folder.
I pulled out my iPad and thought I would quickly send it off... it is not in my draft folder. I checked my iPhone and it is not there either.
checked back on MacBook and still there.
so I turned off iPad and iPhone then turned back on... thinking they were having a glitch issue.

when I turned my iPhone back on a screen popped up saying 'cellular data is turned off... turn on cell data or use wifi to access data".
now im at home and using wifi.. the icon is showing just fine. so what goes on here??

so I waited a bit thinking there was a timing issue. still nothing in draft folder after an hour.
I probably will send from my MacBook and will be interesting to see if it shows up in sent box on either device!! and it did... on all devices.

anyone got any ideas why the 'draft' would not show. tis not a huge issues but a few things have been going oddly and am just wondering if I have an issue with my devices!

apple mail is giving me some issues that I dont understand.
what is the difference between using apple mail on all devices or just using the GMAIL app??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You may have your setup your email client (macOS Mail, Outlook, etc) to use your "On my Mac" to store your emails. you need to look in the Preferences for Mailbox Behaviors, and make sure you have whichever account setup to store your draft emails on the server,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
GMail is webmail - you have to access through your browser - whereas Apple Mail, Thunderbird etc are email clients which work a bit like an app and can sit in your dock for fast access.

In Thunderbird, when I put things into a folder on one device they do not appear on other devices.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may have your setup your email client (macOS Mail, Outlook, etc) to use your "On my Mac" to store your emails. you need to look in the Preferences for Mailbox Behaviors, and make sure you have whichever account setup to store your draft emails on the server,

so in mail pref.. mailbox behaviours... i have

draft mailbox... (gmail) drafts but see there is another option... gmail...
is that what it should be.... i don't think I ever changed any of that.

and same for trash mailbix.... have (gmail) trash vs just gmail
if i change to to just gmail, then they shuld appear in my correct mail boxes?

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GMail is webmail - you have to access through your browser - whereas Apple Mail, Thunderbird etc are email clients which work a bit like an app and can sit in your dock for fast access.

In Thunderbird, when I put things into a folder on one device they do not appear on other devices.

i had my gmail accounts set up on my mac by adding ea account in settings.
so that, it appears in mailboxes on all my devices. is that not how it works. all my folders show activity easily. except for recently.

if i chose stop using mail app (tho it is easier) and just access thru gmail app.... there wuld be no activity showing in my mailboxes on my devices. Is that correct?

or if i access my emails using gmail vs apple mail... wuld they still show activity in my devices mailboxes?
wuld be nice I don't think so doesn't make sense. if I'm understanding any of this at all.

i hope i explained myself so you culd understand!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Have never had a webmail account you can't answer your question, just relate how an email client works for me. I have different folders on iPhone from MBP becasue I use the device differently. Logic says that what is seen in webmail will be the same whatever device is used for access. You may get an answer on a gmail forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.