Dual display with different resolutions

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I just acquired two new (identical: Asus VH203T) flat panel monitors and have them setup using a DVI to VGA for one monitor and the mini-DVI to VGA for the other. This particular model can handle a resolution up to 1600x900 @ 60 Hz, but only one monitor can support that. The other monitor will only go up to 1280x1024 @ 75Hz.

Is there a difference in the maximum resolution output between the DVI and the mini-DVI ports on my Mac Pro? (new 2009 w/Nvidia GT 120).

How do I get both monitors to display at 1600x900?

Reaction score
I believe that one graphics card can handle only one type of resolution, so that would be the smallest one, and the larger one will adapt to the other.

if the smaller one only goes up to 1280x1024, it could never handle 1600x900.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ahhhhh this explains why my TV i use a second monitor and my eye TV is like that. TV and wallpaper is flawless, but if i move i finder window or such on to it it is in a faded colour ....... But nothing worth complaining about. Thanks Mate :)

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
I believe that one graphics card can handle only one type of resolution, so that would be the smallest one, and the larger one will adapt to the other.

if the smaller one only goes up to 1280x1024, it could never handle 1600x900.

?? Sorry, I'm a total noob to this. I'm only using the stock graphics card that came with my machine, and it has 2-ports on it: a (full size/standard) DVI and a mini-DVI.

Okay, I just switched cable and ports, then "arranged" the displays and for whatever reason that I'm not going to even try to recreate, it displays with 1600x900 on both monitors. Hallelujah!!

It was going to make me mental if I had two different resolutions on identical monitors using a single video card :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.