Dual display on Powermac G5 using AVI to ADC with 17" cinema monitors

Reaction score
I have a small problem, i have two 17" inch monitors which I want to use for picture editing, in particular my hobby is Astrophotography so when I take pictures the need editing in a special program I then want to enhance the in Photoshop. what I want is to edit on one screen but still be able to compare it with the original on the other screen.
I have a Powermac G5 1.8 with 6 gig of ram an ATI radeon 9600 graphics card with one AVI port and one ADC port I also have an apple A1600 AVI to ADC Adapter, can any body help by sending me details of what cables go to which port and any software I need and what the setting should be the graphics card does allow mirroring.
Getting really desperate.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To start with...a side comment. You're REALLY working with some OLD OLD Apple equipment. And finding solutions for old equipment like this can be more difficult. Usually folks continue to use old equipment because they have REALLY old software that they cannot find a newer version or substitute for. Maybe this is the case here.

Anyways. Firstly...you don't want these two monitors to be in "mirror" mode. Mirror mode means that both monitors will display the exact same thing. If you want to modify a photo...and be able to compare a modified photo (on one monitor) and compare it to the original photo on the 2nd monitor...then you want the two monitors in "extended desktop" mode. Then you open & view the original photo on monitor #1...and open & view the modified photo on monitor #2.

As far as getting both monitors working. One suggestion I would make is purchase & install a 2nd video card (same as the one you have). Check ebay to see what's available.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome tonthe forums.

I take you really mean a DVI to ADC adapter? If you have the one in the below link, all cables are included including mains power cable, DVI to ADC cable, USB2 cable etc. The correct part number is Apple M8661LL/B DVI to ADC Display Adapter, so I trust you have not purchased the ADC to DVI which has no cables and is not what you need. Like Nick I would tell you it is simply too old.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00011KHT2/?tag=macforums0e4-20

This is the ADC to DVI which is the wrong one having no power etc. Give the pic about fifteen seconds to load it is old also:-

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2v93t3

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.