Dual core G4 won't turn on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 dual-core 1.42, G3 Pismo 400
Hey everybody,
I have a Dual core 1.42 G4 that will not power on. What happens is... I push the power button on either the tower or moniter, the buttons light up, the fans turn on, once the hard drive starts to spin up, the whole system shuts down.
I have swapped the RAM around to see if that mght have been the problem and completly disconnected the hard drive. There was no change, what would be the next steb in diagnosing this problem.
Thanks,
Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I have a feeling I will be making a lot of use out the information here. I replaced the PRAM battery and that was the problem. Now she fires right up again. It makes sense, since the clock would reset when I would turn the computer off.
If I end up making it down under anytime soon, I will have to buy you a Victoria Bitters (that was the beer my brother brought back on his last trip to Sydney, yum!)
Thanks again,
Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your brother is a dirty traitor as VB is Melbourne beer! Make it a Blondie or a Hahn and you have a deal. That clock resetting is always a sign of a crook PRAM battery.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At least I didn't offer a Fosters

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True true!

Keep coming back to the forums as they are a great place to learn!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The computer is still having the same start-up problem. In order to get the machine to turn on, I have to unplug the AC power cord for a few seconds and press the PMU reset button. Could this be a bad logic board or some other culprit?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.