droid files to Mac

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to move or copy files from my phone to my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
I found it very frustrating until I sussed out that the easiest and most reliable method was to use FTP over my domestic WiFi. That was 9 years ago.

Start off by installing an FTP client on your Mac. Filezilla is my favourite. It's free and very reliable.

On my Android phone I have a free FTP Server app (there are several available on the Play Store). As the name suggests, this turns the phone into an FTP server whenever you allow it to. Once it's installed, you set up an FTP account (IP address and password) within the app. Store those same account details in Filezilla, and from there on, whenever you want to transfer files in either direction, you just switch on the FTP Server app and use Filezilla to drag+drop the files across between devices.

Hope that helps.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
On rare occasions, I need to do this. I use Android File Transfer No need to install any FTP clients unless you need it for other tasks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
A further thought: if wanting to transfer files by USB, it's a good idea to check that the cable you're using is the right kind for data transfer. Some cables that come with phones are meant only for charging purposes, and you can't tell by looking at 'em.

ADDED LATER:
I just downloaded "Android File Transfer" and tried it out, connecting my Mac Pro to my Samsung tablet. It worked! In fact, it worked rather TOO well for my liking. As soon as I connected my tablet to the Mac, AFT launched its finder-like window and showed me the contents of my device. "Great" I thought ... and then it hit me that the tablet had not required any authentication/login procedure to do this. Gulp.

...so ANYBODY armed with a copy of AFT and my (stolen? borrowed?) phone or tablet would be able to access all of its contents. :oops:

My phone and tablet are both pretty old, running Jellybean. I can only hope that more up-to-date versions of the Android OS have plugged this gaping security hole!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE:
Curiouser and curiouser. After the "straight into my file structure with no security barriers" experience described above, I thought I'd see what would happen if I connected my tablet to the Mac with me not yet logged into the tablet.

Result: AFT launches, but then spends an age doing nothing before it eventually pops up a message box: "Could not connect to device". If I click "OK" on that message box, AFT freezes to a spinning beachball state that can only be got rid of by force-quitting the app.

I then tried connecting the tablet after I'd logged into it. Same routine: can't connect / spinny ball / force quit.

I think I'll stick to FTP. It's never failed me in 9 years of use.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that update. It has been at least a year since I used that program. About the only time, I use it is to help friends/family transfer info from a dying phone. Fortunately, it's not a frequent occurrence.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope you find that info useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.