Drag-and-drop not working at all in finder

Reaction score
Drag-and-drop is not working for me at all in Finder. The trackpad and button work fine for other purposes.

I inherited the Macbook Pro from a late relative a couple of weeks ago and I straight away did a clean install of MacOS. I can't remember exactly how I did that, but I think it was a clean install of Catalina that I immediately upgraded to Monterey. Drag-and-drop has never worked for me in Finder since I did that.

I have tried googling, but haven't been able to find an answer. What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It would help to know the model of MBP and version of macOS. You can find both by clicking on the  in the upper left corner of the screen, then About This Mac.

Do you have Finder set to show items in a certain order? If so, drag/drop won't work because the item will go back to the sort order you have set. Open Finder, and on the top bar select View, then "Show View Options" and look for the sort order.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.