Downloads freezing

Reaction score
Recently my server upgraded to 30 mps. Fine. Except many pages I try to access start to load and then stop. The blue bar showing the download starts and then stops. I have to highlight the address in the bar and hit return sometimes multiple times and usually they load then. This is aggravating since my old download speed of 12 mps actually worked faster with many sites. I am running the Mountain Lion OS on an IMac circa late 2008.. Can my computer and OS just not handle the faster download speed so locks up? Any ideas and advice?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Why not call your ISP support staff and ask them what's going wrong???

It might help to run some tests with the various "speedtest" sites and see what results you get.
i.e.: speedtest.net

Reaction score
What DNS server are you using? Try Googles or OpenDNS. It might be faster.

OP
W
Reaction score
Why not call your ISP support staff and ask them what's going wrong???

It might help to run some tests with the various "speedtest" sites and see what results you get.
i.e.: speedtest.net

Calling the server is sort of a last resort. They are pretty hopeless when it comes to tech support, esp. when it is in regard to Macs. I have run speed tests and get what I should be getting in the tests at least, usually around 28 mps. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Really? Regardless of your ISP you do have to learn somethings yourself. Go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced and see DNS there. Note the numbers appearing in the left hand pane in case what I suggest does not work. Hit the little minus button and enter 0.0.0.0 and if that does not work 8.8.8.8

Keep us posted?

OP
W
Reaction score
Really? Regardless of your ISP you do have to learn somethings yourself. Go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced and see DNS there. Note the numbers appearing in the left hand pane in case what I suggest does not work. Hit the little minus button and enter 0.0.0.0 and if that does not work 8.8.8.8

Keep us posted?
I went there and there were two sets of numbers in the box: 8.8.8.8. and below that 8.8.4.4. I replaced them with 0.0.0.0. and "applied the changes." Pages are definitely downloading faster. Can you explain a little to a tech. know-nothing what it means and the differences? Thanks much.
Randy.

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MIght try that. Thanks. Kind of leery of messing around with things too much. Now the only pages I am finding that freeze up is when I go to "Mac Forums." Go figure.

FWIW: I've had problems connecting to http://www.mac-forums.com lately, and especially the last few days and today. All other sites worked normally and reasonably fast. So I'd suspect something is amiss with their servers or some such.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For some reason, the forum is running slow today. I have a very fast connection and it's taking forever to get a post on screen and reply to it. All other sites I visit are running normal so it's apparently something to do with our software or whatever server the forum is using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info, confirmation and update chscag.

And yes, I had to try several times just now to finally connect from the subscribed email I received.

Another similar Canadian Mac site seemed to be having some connection problems as well today and this evening.

OP
W
Reaction score
For some reason, the forum is running slow today. I have a very fast connection and it's taking forever to get a post on screen and reply to it. All other sites I visit are running normal so it's apparently something to do with our software or whatever server the forum is using.
Glad to hear it's not my computer only still having the problem.

OP
W
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's not my computer only still having the problem.

I stand corrected. When other pages started freezing again I went back to System Pref.Network and DNS and found that the DNS had reverted back to what it was originally. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Either it reverted on its own or it never really went to 0.0.0.0 and the faster speed I noted was a false positive. It's pretty much where it was before. I can't get it to change to 0.0.0.0 now and maybe it never did. The minus button won't highlight and doesn't work now. Think it did earlier today. Nothing happens. When I hit the + button the 0.0.0.0 appears and the other number disappear but doesn't change anything permanently. On the previous window "Advanced," the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 appear next to DNS. Seems it won't change even when I try to Apply the changes when prompted. Any ideas what's happening? Please don't give up on me now, guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
WM you have to click on an existing DNS number in the l.h. pane. It gets a blue 'selected' frame and the add and minus buttons become active.

OP
W
Reaction score
WM you have to click on an existing DNS number in the l.h. pane. It gets a blue 'selected' frame and the add and minus buttons become active.

Thanks. The box labeled "DNS Servers" has those two numbers in it 8.8.8.8 bs 8.8.4.4. I can't highlight them individually. Only the "+" is highlighted. If I click it, 0.0.0.0. shows up and the others disappear, but they immediately revert when I leave the page. The box outline will highlight, but I can't do anything different with it. Seems it won't accept any change in the DNS Server box. I have no idea what's going on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those two DNS addresses are the Google Public addresses and are probably the fastest anyway. Just leave them alone and don't worry about it. Your problems are not likely with DNS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.