Do you use "Advanced Data Protection for iCloud"?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have been reading this Apple document; Advanced Data Protection for iCloud
In the light of some recent OP's comments about not trusting iCloud for some/all personal data.

It has always seemed to me that iCloud with it's more or less mandatory 2FA on trusted devices was pretty secure anyway but this option adds device-local keys for end to end encryption to an increased number of categories meaning not even Apple can access them.
I have been trying to think how enabling this additional security feature might cause problems for users beyond the usual ones where recovery keys, passwords or trusted devices are lost, forgotten or damaged.
It seems to me that assuming the user complies with the same requirements for 2FA already Advanced Data Protection for iCloud only offers more security for more data.
If anyone can see something I missed I'd love to hear it. I do not have this option enabled on my devices yet, only noticed it on my iPhone a couple of days back while checking iCloud settings for Photos.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
No I don't Rod. It seems to me that Advanced Data Protection (ADP) is primarily targeted to users in the high-risk category such as politicians and high profile individuals.

It's relatively new, the process as outlined by Apple seems complicated and my guess is that not many folks have taken this up compared with the number of Apple Device users. If so, ADP hasn't had time or a significant number of users to stress the mechanisms involved.

For you, me and most of our members, this is unnecessary in my view. Life is complicated enough as it is and those controls which are currently in place make our security perfectly adequate.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My documents are on iCloud. I do not have 2FA enabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I do have 2FA, in my Apple ID the following is shown, middle box on the left, and when I sign in I have to authenticate:

1689510414875.png

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That is why I said, "more or less mandatory". It's possible that you do not have 2FA enabled but as ferrarr implied, it's easy to find out. 2FA is not compulsory but it is required for a number of features and services on current Operating Systems. As to exactly which services Apple is a little vague but rest assured if you attempt to access any of those services you will be prompted to enable 2FA.
Try logging in to your Apple ID on a browser; Apple ID
This is one service almost sure to require 2FA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yes, I can log in and am not prompted by 2FA.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, if you login as described by jimmysb in post #5 you can see if you have 2FA enabled, or not. You likely have an early Apple ID like myself but have never required a secondary form of ID verification.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.