Do we need a new term for Apple Silicon Storage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Before Apple introduced the Mx series of Apple Silicon, there were basically two choices for internal storage. The original was HDD (Hard Disk Device), a rotating platter or platters with a magnetic surface on which a magnet was used to write and read 1s and 0s as the disk passed under the head. The newer was SSD (Solid State Device), which was basically memory storage that had no rotating disk, but which could hold the 1s and 0s in "cells" in a matrix that could be accessed randomly.

HDDs were, and are, slower in both read and write, mostly because of the latency in having to move the arm that holds the magnetic head and then wait for the disk to rotate to where the data is, or where it is going to be put. That latency, plus the delay as the sector of data passed under the head made HDDs much slower than SSDs. HDDs work well untl they get about 70% full, when file fragmentation starts to add to that rotational and head movement latency to the point where the drive "slows down" in practical use.

SSDs, on the other hand, are faster because the memory "cells" can be accessed directly and randomly, enabling much faster reads and writes as there is no rotational latency of any kind. However, the original design of SSDs was to store data in 4K blocks, but erase data in 256K blocks. That means that when you want to erase something, or change it, the entire 256K block has to be "moved" to another totally empty block and the change made as the transition is completed. Then the original 256k block is zeroed out and made available again for the next write. That moving of 256K to update a single 4K block is not a problem until the SSD starts to get full, at which time the movement itself starts to become a problem of latency. For the most part, the same figure of 70% was given by various writers as the range where the performance started to be impacted, although some suggested it actually started as low as 50%!

I have left out the "Fusion Drive" phase where a small SSD served as a buffer for a larger, slower HDD. I am personally glad that that phase ended quickly.

Now Apple calls what is in the new Apple Silicon systems (M1, M2, and M3), Apple SSD... Media. Here is what Disk Utility returns for my 1TB internal: Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 4.45.53 PM.jpg
But notice that right below where it says "SSD" it calls it "Apple Fabric...," a new term that arose when Apple tightly integrated storage and the new Apple Silicon System-on-a-chip. And it's beyond just the fact that the storage is soldered to the logic board, the entire addressing scheme is more tightly tied to the CPU/GPU SoC than in the Intel days. That is one of the reasons the new Mx systems are blazingly fast and thrifty on power usage. In addition, if you look at System Information on a new Mx Mac, it no longer has any reference to TRIM and again refers to "Apple Fabric:"
Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 4.50.03 PM.jpg
I seem to remember in one of the early videos about the new AS SoC that the "fabric" of storage included both that storage which was assigned to the CPU/GPU and that which was assigned to "Storage." I seem to recall that one of the "features" of this fabric approach was that the GPU could write directly to the display memory, making the graphic performance much faster than having to wait for data to transfer over a traditional bus to the video memory. And I also seem to remember reading that for the same reason, the occurance of using "Swap" memory was not as much of a performance hit, as the data that was swapped was still in the same fabric and could be retrieved as fast as if it were still in "memory."

So, is the new system really a traditional SSD or not? If not, do we really know from any real-world testing or experience if the Apple Fabric drives have the same suggested usage limits? And, if the limits are different, do we need a new term to go with HDD and SSD? Maybe FSD (Fabric Storage Device) or AFD (Apple Fabric Device)? I did a quick search and could not find any recent articles where the storage peformance of Apple Fabric drives has been tested. I did find some early article that reported that SMART data seems to be not reliable on AS storage because the way SMART reporting gathers data was incompatible with how Apple Fabric actually performs.

And this early article has a fairly easy to understand section on "fabric" interconnections:

But nothing I could find was definitive, as Apple has been really non-communicative on HOW all of this magic happens.

So, has anybody seen a good tech article where performance of Mx "storage" was tested at various amounts of free storage left? Is it still the "rule of thumb" to stay below 70%? 50%? 25%? Do we know?

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thats a great post Jake. I have wondered about this myself, especially when advising, as I just recently did, to an OP that keeping 20% or more free storage on the new Mx Macs was strongly advised as it is for SSD's in general.
Does this still hold true for the "AF" protocol? It's a very meaningful question when advising users about how much storage they should purchase. With 256GB 20% is only 51.2GB = 204.8 useable storage, but with 500GB it jumps to a more significant 100GB = 400. Effectively meaning that paying for 500GB storage only gives you 195.2GB more useable space than a 256GB HD.
If it's no longer an issue, or as much of an issue, it would be really nice to know.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What makes it more complicated, Rod, is that files on APFS are "compressed" to save space. And when/how that compression takes place is not straightforward. Howard Oakley addressed that here:

and here:

Bottom line is that it is very hard to make a scientific assessment of how much storage one should buy with that new Mac. The general rule used to be to get as much machine as you can afford. With Apple Silicon, that might well be an even stronger recommendation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well thanks guys! - for putting all that in my head! I have now gone crosseyed reading every article I could find and I am no closer to finding an answer than you all are. Some articles say the more memory the less wear on the SSD with swapping. I did not find anything addressing changes in recommended free space. A lot on TBW (Terabytes written) that not necessarily being proven to be an accurate indicator.

I do think this will be a wait and see issue. Most available data seems to deal with the M1's.

How worried should you be about your M1 Mac’s SSD lifespan?

Lisa

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do think this will be a wait and see issue. Most available data seems to deal with the M1's.
I do think that it would be fairly easy to research. Get a machine, load it up to 50%, run BlackMagic test for read/write. Load up to 60%, repeat test. Then 70%, 80% and maybe 90% if the falloff isn't terrible. Publish the results. Erase it all back to factory and restore from the backup from before you started. I'm surprised nobody has done that already. Maybe I'll suggest it to Howard Oakley, he has a lot of systems that he could use to test it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do think that it would be fairly easy to research. Get a machine, load it up to 50%, run BlackMagic test for read/write. Load up to 60%, repeat test. Then 70%, 80% and maybe 90% if the falloff isn't terrible. Publish the results. Erase it all back to factory and restore from the backup from before you started. I'm surprised nobody has done that already. Maybe I'll suggest it to Howard Oakley, he has a lot of systems that he could use to test it.
I agree it would be easy to see at what point the SSD starts to slowdown due to being too full. What I would be interested in is how many read/writes it could take before failing. Supposedly SSD's have several years of use before dying which given my rate up upgrading I should be fine. ;)

Also I forgot I had DriveDx installed. It provides a wealth of information that will prove useful for my little tech brain.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I do think that it would be fairly easy to research
So why hasn't anyone done it an published the results?
Hmm, maybe it's not that simple. My guess, based on what I know, which is not much, the TBW rating for an M1 with a 512GB SSD with my usage should last at least 5+ years which is supported by Lisa's attached article in post #4 "Far more likely—according to the industry scuttlebutt, my own experience, and third-party testing—is that the 256GB SSD will reach 300TBW with ease, and quite likely more. That means nearly 4 to 8 years of SSD life at the same pace with an 8GB/256GB M1 Mac. You can double that for a 512GB SSD." By that time, assuming I'm still "with it" enough to use a computer, I'll be looking to upgrade anyway.😄

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know why nobody has done it or reported on it. It's easy enough to do. One of the issues is that in APFS, if you create a basically empty file, say 1 GB of zeros, APFS compresses that file down to probably under 100KB, yes, KB, but then reports that the filesize is 1GB. So to load a drive down to the various levels one would need big, real files. Movies might do, but they get compressed, too. It sounds easy, but in practice, it would be some work to do.

I have discovered that in the Apple Silicon machines the "SSD" is actually standard memory, without any drive controller on the memory chips. The drive controller is built into the Mx chip itself, along with the CPUs, GPUs, etc. That way, the system can implement FileVault, for example, with nearly zero performance impact, as well as blindingly fast transfer speeds. The more I discover, the more impressed I am with the Apple engineers who came up with the SoC.

Reaction score
So why hasn't anyone done it an published the results?
Hmm, maybe it's not that simple.

It likely isn't simple. In fact, it is probably quite complex and difficult, with a surprising number of variables.

Let me tell you a story. Many years ago I was seeing lots of Macintosh users with rotating disk hard drives (RDHD's) that were encountering various nasty problems as their drives got to be around (very roughly) 80% full. But it wasn't consistent. Some folks started having problems when their drive was only about 60% full, and others reported that they were at around 80% and still were having no problem.

I started writing about this phenomenon, and one or two folks strongly criticized me, saying that there was no such problem, and that if one had a very large hard drive that certainly the free space that 20% free space represented would keep the problem from appearing. However, I was hearing from Macintosh users who were reporting the problem even with quite large RDHD's (at least for the time.)

One of those doubters decided to test things. He filled up a RDHD to over 95% full, and he reported no problems whatsoever. The drive and his Mac still functioned fine. He concluded that there was no inherent problem that occurred when you filled up your RDHD past about 80% full, and that all the folks experiencing problems were seeing something else manifest itself.

It took some time, but eventually it was uncovered that the missing bit of information that one must take into account is how FRAGMENTED the RDHD is. The more fragmented the data on the RDHD, the sooner the problem would manifest itself. A highly fragmented drive might start acting flaky as early as being only around 60% full.

But even that wasn't the full story. Because the Mac OS automatically defragments files on a RDHD. So some folks wondered how fragmentation could be a problem at all, and indeed, many claimed that it couldn't be. But, with the advent of good tools to check out the data on RDHD's, some research showed that while there wasn't any *file* fragmentation on Mac RDHD's, there was quite a bit of fragmentation of the spaces between the files on Macintosh RDHD's. This is known as "disk fragmentation" rather than "file fragmentation".

So it wasn't as easy as doing a simple test to figure out what was going on for RDHD's. I strongly suspect that it will be far more difficult to find a simple test to check out SSD's. There are all sorts of things going on with SSD's that have to be taken into account:
- the file system used,
- the implementation of TRIM,
- the presence of over-provisioning and how much,
- the presence of DRAM (fast memory for lookups) and how much,
- running temperatures and thermal-throttling,
- the type of cells the SSD has (SLC, MLC, TLC, QLC, or PLC),
- memory compression,
etc.

It might be incredibly difficult to come up with a test from which you could extrapolate conclusions about all Apple SSD's; or even all, let's say SSD's in all M3-based Macs. It would be nice if we could ask Apple to tell us everything that is going on in their SSD's, but Apple tends to be very secretive about such things.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Randy. That is exactly why I started the thread. Just like the terms "fragmentation" (both kinds) and "rotational latency" don't apply to SSDs, the things we used to do with RDHDs to improve performance, defragging for example, not only don't help SSDs, they actually make it worse by using read/write cycles on the device.

But I'm not sure that the terms we use for traditional SSDs applies to the Apple Silicon storage because the "drive controller," whatever that means to Apple, is now incorporated on the SoC chip, along with the CPUs, GPUs, etc. Apple no longer refers to "TRIM enabled" on that storage, so is TRIM, or any other garbage collection, needed or used? Is "overprovisioning" even a thing, or is the dynamic allocation of that storage to both "memory" and "storage" totally different. Does the Apple Storage use 4K blocks for writes? Does it use 256K blocks for erase/release, as the drive controllers from other manufacturers do? It would seem to me that if Apple's drive controllers were exactly like traditional controllers, there might be an intellectual property/licensing issue for Apple. If that is the case, it would be in Apple's best interest to create a totally novel drive controller. With a SoC, they had, and have, a blank slate on which to create whatever they want.

Some of the things we DO know about the SoC is that the "fabric" is what enables fantastic performance. The GPUs, for example, now write directly to the video memory, saving the lag in transferring from GPU storage to video storage. FileVault no longer actually encrypts the data on the storage, it is encrypted by default by the drive controller. What FV does is to encrypt the KEY that controls the encryption on the storage. Just from that one change, we can see that Apple's drive controller is different from the typical vendor.

Apple is holding all of this very closely, of course. Not only is that Apple's culture, but it may well involve other intellectual property that Apple would prefer not to fall into the hands of competitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing I did notice when I used migration assistant recently was the amount of space used on the SSD. I upgraded from a 14" M1 Max/64GB/1TB to a 14" M3 Max/64GB/1TB. The M1 showed 994GB with 650GB available. I did the migration to the M3 and it showed 994GB with 755GB available. Yes, I did empty the trash and Time Machine had finished a recent backup of the M1.

Everything is working great and nothing seems to be missing, but it makes me wonder - where did the 105GB go? Was this the result of fragmentation that was now taken care of during the transfer? Did files marked as deleted but still taking up space get cleared? And if I was able to get 105GB of extra space while still having the same amount of wanted data - how can I "clean" my SSD to prevent this build up again?

The M1 was 2 years old and I do a lot of video work so I am sure with all the encoding etc, there could have been a lot of stuff/trash left over. I use a couple of external SSD's to hold video files and send finished files to. Most of the photoshop work along with the pictures are on the main SSD until moved to storage later. Just thinking out loud as I type. Trying to figure if there are some temp files I need to clear or utility I need to do to prevent this build up. I do use Onyx maybe once a month. I clear all the temp files from any premiere project when I am done as those can really build up. I like to remove and/or delete files off the main SSD as I like to keep it uncluttered. Yes, I am a bit OCD about computer storage and maintenance. ;)

Lisa

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa, it was more likely to be that the files were recompressed after being moved. Some cache was cleared, but if you use Onyx once a month, that should have been minimal. Here is an article on the situatiaon from Howard Oakley:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting article Jake - and confusing. But I get the gist of it. So Disk Utility works but Finder does not work so well... It sounds like when APFS was developed they did not follow through with updating Finder to allow it to report the correct amount of free, used, and purgeable space. Hopefully Apple addresses that in the future as storage space is at a premium on an Apple SSD.

Lisa

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. There are two fairly major memory leaks in Finder that haven't been addressed, so an inconsistency in space reporting is not likely to be high on the to-do list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. There are two fairly major memory leaks in Finder that haven't been addressed, so an inconsistency in space reporting is not likely to be high on the to-do list.
Yeah, and will the day ever arrive for the perfect OS with no issues? No - because if that inadvertently happens someone will think up a new feature/change that will muck up the works again. :eek:

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.