Do I need 3 Macs ? What do I do with Old Macs

Reaction score
Hi there

I have always been a big fan of Apple, I love what they do as a company and think their products are wonderful. Which brings me to my next point.

I have a Mac Book Pro 2.4 Ghz

I have a Mac 24 " 3.06 which I purchased in June.

I have fallen for a Mac 27" Quad CORE which I am about to order.

So the reason for my question is....

I could sell the 24" imac 3.06 and loose loads of money, or i could keep it. What would be the advantages of having two machines on my desk? It seems a shame to get rid of the imac 24"

I would be greatful if someone could give me the advantages of having all three machines on a network. Would I have to have all 3 machine running?

I mainly use my mac for just browsing the internet, I have a lot of music on it. I am learning photography and use Lightroom and Photoshop and Corel Painter. I also own a Wacom 12WX Graphic Tablet which I want to use.

I see lots of youtube videos where people have 3 machines on a desk, what is the advantage.

Am I right in thinking, that I have seen screens being linked together, to make a virtual larger screen?

Please help...

Thanks again and look forward to hearing from anyone with any advice to give. I would rather keep the machines, then get rid.

I dont have any family member at home, just me.

Kev

Reaction score
If you're the only one with all those computers, there's really no point in having them. I know you would probably lose money on the 24" in the event that you sell it, but then again how much money are you losing buying another Mac that you don't really need?

Nothing personal mate, different strokes and whatnot. I just thought I'd give my insight.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi there

I have always been a big fan of Apple, I love what they do as a company and think their products are wonderful. Which brings me to my next point.

I have a Mac Book Pro 2.4 Ghz

I have a Mac 24 " 3.06 which I purchased in June.

Those aren't old Macs...they're just not brand new!;)

What to do with them?...sell them! You may loose a lot of money selling them...but if you hang onto them any longer...they're going to be worth even less!!!

A smarter plan would be:

- Keep the MacBook Pro for portability
- Keep the 24" iMac for another 6 months or so (then sell it)
- In 6 months buy the 27" iMac when the price comes down $200-$400 bucks.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Mmmmmm

Thanks guys, I understand what you are saying.

I use the laptop most of the time, as Its always there and easy to pick up.

The Imac is a great machine, I love it. Not the problem, I also like the new 27" maybe just slap myself around the face and make do.

Apple must clap their hands when they see me :Oops:

Just thought I could maybe network them all or if possible use a virtual screen by connecting them both together if that is possible.

Kev

T

todd51

You could network them if you wanted to. I like Nick's plan and totally agree with him on keeping the MBP because you never know when you want to travel. If you don't want to sell the 24" and wish to keep it, maybe you could just put it in another room of your house. Maybe keep it near your main television and use it as a media center? Just an idea.

Or do what Nick suggested and sell it in a couple of months when the prices of the new ones come down. It will still be worth a decent amount of money that you could put towards the new one.

Reaction score
OLD' OLD'? If you had a 10yr. old G3 like I do then you could talk old.
If you don't need a 27" display for whatever you do I wouldn't spend that much money just to have the latest and greatest and from what I have read there are some problem with the new machine so I would wait till the 2nd. generation SL is released and maybe by that time you won't be so excited about another 3" to your display.

Reaction score
Rather annoyingly I bought 24’ 2 days before the launch of the 27’. I can’t return it as I opened it and didn’t buy it direct from Apple (Warehouse Express B*******). I’m getting the impression that Apple bring out updated kit every year (am I right?) I am thinking the 27’ is good but is it really all that much better than the 24’. What improvements will Apple do to the 27’ in a year or so? Like Blueray for a start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.26ghz, 4gb ram, 250 gb hard drive
You could always give one to me... Just saying.

Good luck on figuring that one out. That's a hard decision.

Reaction score
You could always give one to me... Just saying.

Good luck on figuring that one out. That's a hard decision.

Now where talking... Just looking around my room here theres 6 Macs. Its always a good idea to let the bugs get worked out of any new product.

Reaction score
I've got two computers on my desk. In any case, I'd keep them all! They're still good, and heck, 27" is quite a big computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.