Disk Utility iMac El Capitan Fusion drive lost space after deleting partition!

Reaction score
Help!

Not sure how to fix this! My iMac has a 1 TB fusion drive. I partitioned the drive with 3 partitions for different Mac OS's. Decided to delete the Maverick Partition using Disk Utility about 300 GB.

Deleted the Partition, however when I tried to return that disk space to the drive by selecting the (-) option, Disk Utility froze, spinning beach ball.

Had to use Command R restart with Disk Utility first aid that showed the Maverick Partition did get deleted, but the space is not returned to the hard drive. It has gone missing.
I am missing about 300GB on the drive.

How do I get that 300 GB back to be used by the two remaining partitions, El Capitan, and Sierra.
Ideally I want to put that storage back into the El Capitan partition.

I can not believe Apple would allow a key application like Disk Utility to trash a fusion drive.

What do I need to do to get my drive back.

I need some expert help here!

Thanks

OP
R
Reaction score
Not sure what I did here but I got the space back. Using Disk Utility I unmounted the Sierra Partition and the missing 300 GB was added in that partition. However, when I re-mounted that Partition the space was gone again. I deleted the Sierra Partition and used the (-) to delete the space so I have only one partition on the drive. That partition is showing a 1.1 TB Fusion Drive. Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 4.57.04 PM.png

Can anyone explain to me what happened. I am not sure why I had to return to just one partition.

Comments

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can anyone explain to me what happened. I am not sure why I had to return to just one partition.

Comments

Fusion drives are extremely fussy and can easily break by messing with them. Even running Boot Camp on a Fusion drive has caused problems for some users. I can only surmise that Fusion drives do not like to be partitioned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.