Delete videos from School 5th gen Nano

Reaction score
I have a nano that was given to me when I enrolled into a college and it has instructional videos on it. If possible I would like to save the files but I just really want to DELETE all files and be able to use the iPod for music.

I have tried "resetting" the iPod, but that doesn't affect the files. How do I wipe this clean?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ask the IT person at your school. Obviously, the Nano they gave you is a special version which is supposed to be used for instructional purposes.

Regards.

OP
V
Reaction score
no no....

So I graduated from this school and don't want any of the lectures/videos/information that is currently stored on the iPod and blocking me from using this iPod as a music player. It was used for instructional purposes, now those purposes have ended.

How do I DELETE all the data currently stored on it and make it functional for music use? It's worthless to me without this ability.

I would rather not go buy a new iPod when I have one already--that just wouldn't be very environmentally friendly or sensible.

thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We were not aware of your current situation when you first posted. And, according to your first post, you tried doing a reset from iTunes and it wouldn't work. Is that correct?

If it won't reset from iTunes, try putting the Nano in hard disk mode, open it in Finder or Explorer (if you're using Windows) and see if you can delete the files manually. You didn't mention which format the Nano was using. It can use either the Mac format (HFS+) or PC format (FAT-32).

If you still can't delete the files, it may be that they're protected by Read Only attributes. Those attributes will have to be removed first. Post back to this thread if you need further assistance.

Regards.

OP
V
Reaction score
I have not attempted a reset in iTunes, I did the ol' hold the center and menu button down, the Apple appears, and I see the music artist list like a standard iPod, but just for a second before it is "Loading Notes".
Are there any third party programs to delete this info and reset the ipod--or a way to do it on the iPod itself? There is no "menu" other than a list of the course materials.
I don't know how to get it to a hard disk mode in this situation.

apparently this Ipod isn't recognized in windows or Mac versions of iTunes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that particular Nano is not being recognized by iTunes, there's no way to do a reset. When you attach the Nano to the computer via a USB cable, does it show up on the desktop? In other words, is the computer seeing it at all?

If the Nano shows up on the desktop of your PC or Mac, you can manually delete the files and/or reformat it. Once it has been cleared, it will probably be seen by iTunes where you can get it back to normal working again.

The Nano uses flash memory for its storage (much like a thumb drive) and should be easy to wipe. I don't know of any third party application which can do a reset and there is no option to do it from the Nano itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.