Delete files from Download folder automatically ..

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I have quite a simple Task. I want to automatically delete all files from Download folder except for the current day.
I thought that I could use Automator. I looked in basic steps and created the Task.
I noticed 2 issues:
1. from all conditions Automator offers in Action 'Filter Finder Items' I did not find the one I was looking for. I was looking for something like 'Date added before 'today'. I did not find any 'condition' for 'added'. Hence, I selected 'Data created' + 'is before' + current date. It should work for today ... but how about tomorrow and other days?
Does anyone know how to compile this Task for Automator?
2. second and 'weird' issue was that it was working but very inconsistent. I mean that when I tested it and moved some 'old' files ... it moved it to Trash sometimes but did not do it always. That's weird. I have no clue why it's so inconsistent ..
Could anyone share their experience?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have quite a simple Task. I want to automatically delete all files from Download folder except for the current day.

Not attempting to reinvent the wheel here, but Google can be your friend and show you some readily available options you could try using:
3 Ways to Automatically Delete Downloads on Mac

and more options available from some of the hits here:

There should be at least one method that should work well for you amongst all those.
There was also an old utility I used to use years ago that had what was called a "watch folder" that could do multiple things with whatever landed in the specific folder but I cannot recall its name but a Google search should find something like that if you need it.

I thought there was a services built into the Mac OS that could do a similar thing but I can't find.
it or where the option might hide on my iMac.

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
There is a setting in Safari Preferences/Settings, and there should also be a setting in other browsers as well. delete/trash/remove downloads after 1 day/month/etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a setting in Safari Preferences/Settings, and there should also be a setting in other browsers as well. delete/trash/remove downloads after 1 day/month/etc.

Just for the record Bob, only my Safari has such an option with my older browser versions I use with El Capitan v. 10.11.6, no such Preference option available with Firefox or Google Chrome.

I hardly ever use my old Safari anymore as it just doesn't work with just too many sites,

PS: for Safari users, they may wonder where their downloads ended up if they've selected one of the options available: :) :rolleyes:
Remove download list items... Upon successful download

Now where did that file suddenly go... Gee wiz eh??? Especially if the optional operation is immediate... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

OP
S
Reaction score
Not attempting to reinvent the wheel here, but Google can be your friend and show you some readily available options you could try using:
3 Ways to Automatically Delete Downloads on Mac

and more options available from some of the hits here:

There should be at least one method that should work well for you amongst all those.
There was also an old utility I used to use years ago that had what was called a "watch folder" that could do multiple things with whatever landed in the specific folder but I cannot recall its name but a Google search should find something like that if you need it.

I thought there was a services built into the Mac OS that could do a similar thing but I can't find.
it or where the option might hide on my iMac.

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======
@Patrick
Thanks for reply. I already followed the link you mentioned above and it disappointed me
Anyway ... I'll talk to Google

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already followed the link you mentioned above and it disappointed me. Anyway ... I'll talk to Google

Just curious, but what was it that disappointed you?

It seems that many of the suggestions would do just what you were asking and wanting.
And how exactly is Google going to help?

Oh well...

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I like the Smart Folder suggestion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.