Decent Alternatives for Filemaker Pro?

Reaction score
Are there any decent, single-user, cheap, or free alternatives for Filemaker Pro? I used to use it at Apple and other companies but it has turned into something completely different than what I'm looking for. Most of the others aren't anything like the old FileMaker though and my guess the older software that I have a license for is not compatible with the latest OS or the M1 Mini. I could make something in MySQL but what a pain. I haven't done anything like that in many, many years. Thanks :)

Update: I'm going to try Tap Forms. So far the others are all monthly subscriptions. I miss the days of just buying software or shareware and using it instead of paying out the nose monthly. Using something like google forms or the databases that come with the open office or libre apps might work but I'd rather have something I don't have to spend precious time fidgeting around with.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is nothing quite like Filemaker. Certainly nothing free.

That said, if you only need to keep track of simple things, this amazing FREE database is easy to use. It even allows you to create your own forms for data input like FMP. Automatic synchronization across computers is built-in, and it is cross platform (both Mac and Windows)!

Symphytum (free)

(scroll down the page for introduction)

Ninox $35 and TapForms $50 are good replacements for FileMaker. They are simpler than FileMaker and vastly less customizable.
Ninox appears more customizable than TapForms in configuring layouts with related fields, but its documentation is more confusing.

Ninox

TapForms

There is a very long list of low-end and high-end database programs for the Mac. Let me know if you want the entire list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.