Dead USB Port(s)

Reaction score
Hi;

My iMac 27" (mid 2011) has four USB ports, one of which initially appeared to be dead. I reset the PRAM to no avail. I then reset the SMC which brought the dead port back to life but a different port went dead. I rest the SMC two more times after which a different port goes dead.

This seems to have started after installing 10.11.3. Any thoughts?

Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably coincidental since the update to 10.11.3 had nothing to do with the USB ports or hardware. You said you reset the SMC on your iMac, how long did you leave it unplugged from the AC outlet? Try leaving it for an hour or so to let the machine cool down completely. If you still have problems after that, it might be time to let Apple run diagnostics on your iMac.

OP
C
Reaction score
Holy toledo! That seems to have done the trick. I pulled the plug, waited 2 hours, and continued the procedure.

Many thanks; Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear it. :) The SMC reset for an iMac is sensitive to heat buildup which is why leaving it unplugged for an hour or so usually works better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.