Data Usage

Reaction score
I am new on here. Thanks in advance or any help someone may offer.

I live in a rural area where the only broadband options are satellite or Verizon Hotspot. I have the Hot spot. It works very well but A little over a year ago I bought a Mac Book Pro. I pretty much quit using my old Ipad because it just became slow and was constantly crashing. I love the MacBook but it seems to use at least twice the data for the same amount of internet usage than the Ipad did. I can't afford the Verizon bills! Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I'd try to give the iPad a new lease of life. Erase all content and settings and update it to the latest OS. Even the oldest iPads should still be useful for basic surfing.

If you have any data hungry work to do, head off to Starbuck's or similar with the MBP and add as much as you can to your reading list while you are there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good old Verizon! Keeps taking the prize for being the most expensive carrier and second only to Sprint when it comes to poor customer service. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just curious here, but is there any legitimate reason that a MB and its OS X would use more data than an iPad and its iOS and doing basically the same things???

That seems a bit strange to me.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think some of the answer is in mobile versions of webpages. They tend to be simpler and presumably less data intensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think some of the answer is in mobile versions of webpages. They tend to be simpler and presumably less data intensive.

Click, just got my brain into gear thanks, and that does make sense, but is there really that much difference? But I guess a lot of little amounts can sure add up to make a noticeable difference!!! ;)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Click, just got my brain into gear thanks, and that does make sense, but is there really that much difference? But I guess a lot of little amounts can sure add up to make a noticeable difference!!! ;)

- Patrick
======

I rarely exceed my 6Gb a month data cap. Lately, I've been carrying my MBP and succumbed to temptation. Hooked it up to my phone's hotspot, started playing and got hammered. Used a month's data in about 4 days.

I think we tend to do more browsing than we realize on a laptop because it's easier to use than a mobile device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.