• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Copying DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
On my DVD recorder I have a recording of TV programme that featured my wife. I have been making several DVD copies of this to send to friends and family but it's a bit labourious and not all recipients have a DVD player. I have tried to load the recording to my Mac hard drive (as a MP4 but happy with anything that works) so I can send out as a movie file. However, only the mac in-buit DVD drive shows up in Finder/Disk Utility/Handbrake/etc rather than the DVD files so I'm foiled before I begin. Any suggestions as to how I can proceed? Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 09.06.43.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Check Finder Preferences>Sidebar and see if the CD,DVD option is ticked to see it in Finder Sidebar.

Does it not mount on the Desktop when you insert it in the dvd drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Why not make one more DVD, then use something like Handbrake to get it off the DVD into the Mac? I don't think you can pull it directly from the DVR to the Mac, if that is what you are trying to do.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Check Finder Preferences>Sidebar and see if the CD,DVD option is ticked to see it in Finder Sidebar.

Does it not mount on the Desktop when you insert it in the dvd drive?

This partly resolved problem. CD/DVD option was not ticked. It is now but although I can see it in Finder (with the Video_TS and VTS-01 files) , the view in Disk Utility is unchaged and just shows the drive. It does not mount on the Desktop either (although the video plays just fine.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not make one more DVD, then use something like Handbrake to get it off the DVD into the Mac? I don't think you can pull it directly from the DVR to the Mac, if that is what you are trying to do.

No, trying to copy the DVD not direct from DVR.

krs

Reaction score
You mentioned you had Handbrake.
Does using that not work?
How to convert DVD's to MP4 using Handbrake
  1. Open HandBrake.
  2. Click on the 'Source' button and then 'Folder'
  3. Once HandBrake has loaded the folder you will see options at the top of the window that allow you to choose a time or chapter range to convert to MP4.
  4. Click on 'Browse' under 'Destination' to select where you want to the MP4 file to be saved to.
You can also use VLC to save the video as an mp4 file or use some other free conversion software

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
As krs mentions, Handbrake is your best option to turn a dvd into a video file.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all. Once I had CD/DVD option ticked in Finder preferences I was able to use Handbrake to create an M4V which runs perfectly ans which has now been sent to a relative in Canada where it runs perfectly also. Thank you for all you suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.