Convert 192 kbps to variable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
I have a ton of mp3's that are encoded in straight 192 kbps. I'm currently reorganizing my mp3 library. Is there any benefit in converting those files to variable now? Or does that only benefit if they're at a higher bit rate prior to encoding?

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
Also, is this a good bit rate quality? I'm trying to find a match between file size and quality. I can't really tell the difference between 192 and 320 so I've always basically kept my stuff around here....but I just recently discovered the VBR function in iTunes so thinking of going with this:

screenshot20120325at459.png

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
You wont see alot of difference between a 192 CBR and VBR. VBR will probably save you a few Kb, but honestly, a 192 is so small anyway I don't see the point.

VBR basically means that it will encode at different bitrates depending on the complexity of the song. seeing as your tracks are already encoded, you would just be losing quality at this point.

C

chas_m

Yes, and I wouldn't encode anything below 256kbps anyway, even if you can't hear the difference. Once you have better equipment for playback you'll notice it more.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, as I read more I'm starting to lean more towards 256 kbps as opposed to 192.

Should I do 256 VBR or 256 CBR?

C

chas_m

As the name implies, VBR will encode some sections of the music at a LOWER bitrate, so the quality would therefore be a bit worse (though whether you'd notice is another matter). So you want CBR in most cases IMO. VBR is for people who are REALLY tight on space, but doesn't really make the files that much smaller in most cases.

Reaction score
i use only 320 and i can tell the difference. they are not that much bigger and the quality is way better! i'd say there is no need to convert the 192 files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.