cONNECTING RANGE EXTENDER

Reaction score
This may seem a silly question but here goes ?

I need a range extender...Can i connect it via ethernet and have it produce wirelss signal ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
A range extender does not need to be connected by an ethernet cable to your network. It will pick up an existing wireless network and "extend" the signal. You might need to hook an ethernet cable to it and use a computer to set it up but once it is set to your SSID and network password it will work. Check out the example below:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...-keywords=range+extenders?tag=macforums0e4-20

The other option if you want to use ethernet cable is an access point. You can connect it to your router and they will provide wireless access. Most need to be plugged in or if your router offers PoE (power over ethernet) that works too.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...&rh=i:aps,k:access+points?tag=macforums0e4-20

There are also extenders that will use the electrical lines to extend your wifi signal. I have never used them but others have and seem to have good success.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ical+wire+range+extenders?tag=macforums0e4-20

Lisa

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you..
I have a unique situation where by i have thernet to the room that the wifi does not extend to..
So i was planning on putting in a range extender and picking up signal via ethernet making the room wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As Lisa says a Wireless access point is what you want (sometimes an old router can be used for this if they support bridge mode).

Give it the same network name (SSID) as your main wireless network and your devices will switch to it seemlessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I am using three powerline extenders to bring the internet to my TV in one room and DVR in another upstairs. You connect one to the router then 'pair' the others to it and it connects to the broadband.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That’ll work just fine but I think the OP already has Ethernet in the room but just needs WiFi adding. So no sense using powerline in this particular scenario

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.