• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Complete Overhaul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi Everyone

It's been a while!

Anyway, in a fit of updating and a trip to my local Apple Store, I've completely transitioned to Apple silicon over the past 2 weeks. I started with a 14" M1 Pro MBP to replace my 16" Intel machine and then my 2017 iMac got replaced with an M1 Mac mini.

Apple Store staff were very good, and in fact tried to sell me something cheaper (an M1 MB Air as they said this would easily be enough for my needs - Lightroom, Photoshop, iMovie) but I went with an upgrade and got the M1 Pro chip with some extra cores and a 1TB hard drive just in case my needs change.

All my media and data is stored on a number of external SSDs and HDDs anyway, attached to a CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 hub - another really good purchase.

I've got to say I'm blown away with my new computing set up - the speed and efficiency are just mind blowing (apart from one issue which I've raised elsewhere) and leave my 16" MBP and particularly my iMac for dead.

Anyway, that's me done for many, many years to come hopefully!

Thanks for reading, Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Anyway, that's me done for many, many years to come hopefully!

Congratulations on your new Macs and I hope they keep performing well for you, but don't forget you should have fairly recent hard drive backups of all your external drives for all of your data which you probably have already.

- Patrick
=======

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Congratulations on your new Macs and I hope they keep performing well for you, but don't forget you should have fairly recent hard drive backups of all your external drives for all of your data which you probably have already.

- Patrick
=======
thanks Patrick and rest assured I have everything backed up with 2 copies of everything and 3 of most recent and valuable stuff

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.