Cinema Display - refresh rate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Hello folks,

I recently acquired, very cheaply, a nice pair of 20 inch Cinema displays to go with my 2008 Mac Pro. They're working fine and I'm very happy with them.

Today I had a need to find out what refresh rate they use. Went into System Preferences and chose "Displays" - but the dialogue boxes that appear tell me very little indeed about the working parameters of these displays. I can look at the colour profile information in fabulous detail, but refresh rate? No mention anywhere.

Can anyone enlighten me please? Am I just looking in the wrong place?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There are two specs that effect the speed/smoothness of a monitor...refresh rate & response time.

Since these 20" Apple Cinema Displays were released in 2004...these specs won't be all that great.

I believe the refresh rate is 60Hz...compared to more modern displays with refresh rates of 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz...even as high as 360Hz with some high end gaming monitors.

Response times for the 20" Apple Cinema Display are also fairly slow compared to more modern monitors. Response time for these 20" Cinema Displays is 16 milliseconds...more modern displays are around 10ms, 5ms...and some gaming monitors have a response time as low as 1ms (even 0.1ms gray to gray).

Here's the full spec info for the 20" Apple Cinema Display from Everymac.com:

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Can anyone enlighten me please? Am I just looking in the wrong place?

It seems that the specific spec information on such displays is not readily available, but I did find this which is mentioned several times at several different sites:
The Studio Display also only offers a 60Hz refresh rate,

I was a bit surprised to find that everymac.com didn't even seem to have such information.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Horsa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Many thanks for your replies, folks - just what I needed. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.