Charging cables; iPhone 13 vs. 8+

Reaction score
I am considering upgrading from my iPhone 8+ to a 13. However, I currently have many charging cables I use in my cars, computers, wall warts, etc. Does the 13 use the same type of connectors? It appears it does but I would like some confirmation from actual users.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, the iPhone has been with the lightening cable connector for a while and that's true of the iPhone 13 as well. They might switch to the USB-C connector in the next model or so.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I did. That's why I said they seemed to be alike but I wanted confirmation. The connector technology and terminology has changed so much and so fast over the years it is sometimes difficult to know what you are reading. Asking somebody who has actual experience is a way to get clarity.

A quick example. My 2012 MBP and my 2021 MBP both have thunderbolt sockets but they aren't the same. I had to get a T3 to T2 adapter to connect my new computer to my T2 to Firewire800 adapter so I could connect my RAID array to my computer, three generations of connector technology in one cable. Fortunately I didn't need a Firewire800 to Firewire400 adapter!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.