Catalina auto change to Dark Theme not working

Reaction score
I updated to Catalina the other day and everything seems to be ok other then a few minor things. I just can not get the Auto Feature to switch to Dark Mode to Light to work! Night Shift works just fine but not the Auto switch into either Light or Dark mode. If I do it manually it works ok but not Auto. And my other problem is sometimes the Dock will not reveal its self when you click on it and the only way to use it is to use the F4 key to bring it up. But if you signout and sign in again it will work fine or use killall Dock command in the terminal it will work correctly. I have disabled the Autohide for now to see if it happens again. I have a 2017 iMac 21.5.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't know how to respond to your problems but I have not seen those particular errors among the many I have read about occurring with Catalina. Apple has already released beta number one to the first update to Catalina so maybe your problems will go away when the first update is released.

OP
T
Reaction score
I hope so. Last year when I upgraded to Mojave I no problems what so ever. I have seen these problems on other Boards (MacRumors Forum, and the Apple Support Board also seen it on the reddit Board).

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's a bit odd TJack I know the setting you are talking about, I don't use it myself, I have Dark Mode on all the time but as there seems to be no way to schedule it manually so I assume its regulated by time, Sunrise/Sunset. So you could just check your time settings are correct. I have no idea if Night Shift would interfere with this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.