Can't reinstall High Sierra before gifting old mac - paperweight?

tomtobin66

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought my wife a new macbook and we're trying to gift her old Macbook Air (High Sierra) to a family in need. I think I've boxed myself into a corner.... I'm not a Mac guy, but pretty proficient in Linux, so can follow a more advanced terminal recovery if possible. Here's the situation:
  • I successfully migrated everything off old mac - so data is safe
  • Followed online guide to restore old mac to factory defaults: disconnect her apps, reformat HD, Restore OS from recovery screen
  • First two fine, then get "Recovery server could not be contacted" on restore OS
  • Tried online suggestions: yes wifi there, synced dates with apple server... no change - create a boot install USB?
  • Of course since I wiped the HD, can't even log in to create a boot USB now (silly directions to wipe HD first)
  • Tried creating install USB with the new mac, can't because can't download old High SIerra OS on new mac
  • Tried re-downloading the installer from terminal in recovery mode on old mac, but 'softwareupdate' command not in /usr/sbin (or anywhere)
  • Figured I'd try to image a USB using the new mac from a downloaded .dmg -> seems impossible to find
Feels like the old mac is now just a paperweight, I really wanted to gift it, in fact told the family they'd get it and they are excited - please help.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

From here--> How to reinstall macOS

It says

Other macOS installation options​

When you install macOS from Recovery, you get the current version of the most recently installed macOS, with some exceptions:
  • If you just used Disk Utility to erase your startup disk, you might be offered an earlier compatible version of macOS.
  • On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
  • On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup, you might be offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
  • If the Mac logic board was just replaced during service, you might be offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
Once you get ANY version installed, you should be able to get back to HS as an upgrade, if needed.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well, it certainly sounds like you have followed all the steps.
Having erased Macintosh HD from the Disk Utility in the Recovery partition and selected Reinstall MacOS yes, you should be taken to the Online Recovery server but this is a step that frequently causes issues for some.
You will get an error message like, "Could not contact Recovery server" or similar as I did when following the same process with a 2010 MacBook. Even if you do successfully connect it may drop out halfway through. In my case it took around 6-7 tries to successfully reinstall the original MacOS but it did happen o/night on my final attempt.

You may be able to improve connectivity by connecting the device with a LAN cable directly to your router but I used WiFi. The secret seems to be keep on trying. Try different times of day, try putting the device in the same room as your WiFi router but keep on trying.

After successfully downloading the OS you may then want to upgrade it to the most recent MacOS the device can run. I advise against this because to do so will require you to setup the device for yourself first.

Instead take note of this website; How to download and install macOS
Here you will find links to older versions of MacOS, in my case I wanted the latest my device could run, namely High Sierra.

If you can, walk the new user through the setup process (Setup Wizard/Assistant) which will appear after successful download from Internet Recovery (the "Hallo" screen), at which point you can just shut down the device.
Once they have completed the setup with their own Apple ID, Admin Password and email address they can use Safari to download the OS Upgrade from the link above.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@tomtobin66,

Firstly, a warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

I've read your first post and you seem to have done the necessary.

One thing I don't see mentioned is that you must disassociate your old Mac from your Apple ID; otherwise the new owners will not be able to use it.

Perhaps you have done that, but not told us?

Ian

OP
T

tomtobin66

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I did disconnect all the applications in the iCloud setup, but the instructions I read did not include a 'disassociate' step - is there a way to do that from the iCloud website or from the new machine now that it has been wiped?

@tomtobin66,

Firstly, a warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

I've read your first post and you seem to have done the necessary.

One thing I don't see mentioned is that you must disassociate your old Mac from your Apple ID; otherwise the new owners will not be able to use it.

Perhaps you have done that, but not told us?

Ian

OP
T

tomtobin66

Reaction score
Here is another Apple article with some advice: If you can't start up from macOS Recovery
Hello - I have attempted everything in the article, including the Command-Shift-R recover from existing OS option, it fails. I suspect my original install is corrupt, as implied by missing /usr/sbin/softwareupdate - I'm guessing the Reinstall routine is trying to use this and failing with an un-helpful 'Recovery server can not be contacted'.

Does anyone know how to download a High Sierra boot/install USB image (a .dmg file I believe)? I can find .dmg files for High Sierra updates here, as well as some other installs, but no High Sierra installs): Apple - Support - Downloads

I have to be able to do this from a non High Sierra compatible device (my new macbook) - I can not use the App Store application, it only works to download for the current machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I advise against this because to do so will require you to setup the device for yourself first.
When selling/gifting a used Mac, I create a user, name it owner. Then give it a password and give that info to the new owner. You don't have to sign in with an Apple/iCloud ID at first.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That's a good idea ferrarr, I had never thought of that. Of course you would have to set up an Apple ID if you wanted to upgrade the OS.
Doesn't that mean the new owner would have to create a new Admin user with their name and details without the guidance and options of the Setup Assistant?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Doesn't that mean the new owner would have to create a new Admin user with their name and details without the guidance and options of the Setup Assistant?
They can if they want, but I sometimes go through the new setup with them if they have the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm guessing the Reinstall routine is trying to use this and failing with an un-helpful 'Recovery server can not be contacted'.
No, the error is that for some reason, the machine is unable to connect to the internet recovery server. It could be that the server is temporarily down, or overloaded, or that your local machine isn't connecting to your local network. Do you have any way to connect by ethernet cable and try again?

Also, note that the Cmd-SH-R recovery requires you to HOLD DOWN the three keys throughout the boot process. Some folks just tap it, but it doesn't work that way. You have to hold down the keys until you get the recovery options.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OP describes attempting restore from the Recovery partition and getting the , "Recovery server could not be contacted" message.
Perhaps as Jake describes trying from startup with the Command-Shift-R key combination would be more successful although in my experience that often requires several tries and results in the original MacOS being installed.
That is how I have done it in the most recent past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mostly the re-tries are probably because the keys are released too soon. It's surprising how long you have to hold them down to get the process started!

And yes, the original version (or oldest version they have online that runs on that machine) will be installed, but it's bootable and can be upgraded from there.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I was referring to successfully entering the window with the world "Globe" icon only to be told something like, "Could not connect to Internet Recovery". Usually once the dialogue starts estimating time required to completion your on your way but I have had it drop out occasionally half way through. You also have to choose your WiFi network and enter your password at each try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
No, I was referring to successfully entering the window with the world "Globe" icon only to be told something like, "Could not connect to Internet Recovery". Usually once the dialogue starts estimating time required to completion your on your way but I have had it drop out occasionally half way through. You also have to choose your WiFi network and enter your password at each try.
It's best to connect to your router via Ethernet when doing a very long download and install. (And it's a heck of a lot faster!)

OP
T

tomtobin66

Reaction score
No, the error is that for some reason, the machine is unable to connect to the internet recovery server. It could be that the server is temporarily down, or overloaded, or that your local machine isn't connecting to your local network. Do you have any way to connect by ethernet cable and try again?

Also, note that the Cmd-SH-R recovery requires you to HOLD DOWN the three keys throughout the boot process. Some folks just tap it, but it doesn't work that way. You have to hold down the keys until you get the recovery options.
Holding CMD-SHIFT-R results in this screen - I held for 2 minutes, which is a long time to hold 3 keys. I guess no 'un-happy mac' anymore like in the '80s?

Attachments

• 20230626_154235.jpg
    20230626_154235.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T

tomtobin66

Reaction score
Fit you see either of these threads?

Can I initiate a MacOS restart to Recovery mode solely from the command line?

or

Thank you ferrarr and others who helped! I was able to successfully get back to Monterrey finally, now will help the new owner upgrade to High Sierra.

Great forum, very helpful.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, not the expected outcome. The only answer may be to create a bootable MacOS installer on a pen drive.
My best suggestion is to download the macOS High Sierra installer from here How to download and install macOS on your new Mac. On completion you will probably get a message to say it can't be installed because it's incompatible. That's okay just Quit the process.
Now hopefully you will have the installer in Downloads or Applications with a symbol saying it cant be opened.
Download a copy of Instal Disk Creator from MacDaddy - Easy to use but powerful software. Made to high standards. (its free).
Plug in a USB thumb drive that's suitable (about 20MB is big enough). It will be erased so it needs to be disposable.
Launch Instal Disk Creator and if you are lucky it will find the HS installer, if not locate it manually. Point the app at the USB drive as the destination and maybe it will work.
It seems to me that the installer should not need to be compatible with your new Mac in order for Instal Disk Creator to do it's thing but it's untried (by me) and I can't find anything online to confirm or deny it.

The only other answer is to find someone with an older Mac that is compatible or turn to a reputable Apple repair shop that will inevitably have bootable installers for a whole range of Mac operating systems.

If successful it should be a simple process of plugging the bootable installer into your old Mac, Startup with the Option Key held down till you see Boot options, choose the USB, use Disk Utility to erase the Macintosh HD (at the Media level) that is, the manufacturer's HD name, at the top of the sidebar list, then quit Disk Utility go back to instal MacOS High Sierra an instal.

NB: Be aware that Instal Disk Creator can take quite a long time to do anything at the beginning of the "creation" process. If it doesn't come up with a error it's probably working so just give it time. It will tell you when it's completed but not much else.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.