Can't find the hole

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I don't know if it's just me but I have a lot of trouble feeling the lightening bolt connector into the port on my iPhone. It's fine if I can see it but difficult in poor lighting or in the dark. I wonder if Apple would be open to the suggestion of bevelling the edges of the port so that the plug would more easily be guided into the hole?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Starting with iPhone 8, wireless charging is supported and I imagine that all new phones will support that and that's the way of charging of the future. I would TOTALLY not be surprised if the lightening port is removed completely in lieu of total wireless connection in a generation or two.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think we've all had this issue from time to time.:) Do you have a protective case on your iPhone?...depending on the design of the case...maybe the case is also making things a bit more difficult.

Also...just to put things into full perspective. As iPhone users we're actually very fortunate that the lightning cable is a "symmetrical" design (if the lightning connector is flipped...it can be inserted either way).

Many Android phones have/had an asymmetric cable connector...which means it can only be inserted in one way. Thus with some Android phones/phone models...not only can the port be hard to find (when not looking at it directly or in poor light conditions)...but the cable also needs to be in the correct orientation (even if the cable connector & port are properly aligned).

When we look at things this way...the Apple lightning connector is not so bad.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would TOTALLY not be surprised if the lightening port is removed completely in lieu of total wireless connection in a generation or two.

I could definitely see Apple doing this. Apple many times likes to force its users to "leap to the future"....even if some users aren't quite ready for it!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Agree - I've always disliked the lightning connector, just seemed flimsy to me w/ intermittent charging issues - have needed an eraser on the tiny exposed pins to restore function - also, my wife has developed a familial tremor in her hands w/ age (like her father), and is finding insertion more difficult into her iPhone & Mini - we looked twice at the newer phones w/ wireless charging but she was still happy w/ her old iPhone 6. Now, I got the new iPad Pro in December w/ the USB-C port and love the more robust attachment - did necessitate changing some of my charging options/adapters. Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Rumor has it the new iPhones for 2019 (at least the top of the line models) will be able to charge other iPhones thru wireless technology. Similar to the ads you see on TV for the newest Galaxy phones.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Apple many times likes to force its users to "leap to the future"....even if some users aren't quite ready for it!;)

- Nick

Like lemmings???
Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I could definitely see Apple doing this. Apple many times likes to force its users to "leap to the future"....even if some users aren't quite ready for it!;)

- Nick
I thought Apple passed on their wireless charger system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't know if it's just me but I have a lot of trouble feeling the lightening bolt connector into the port on my iPhone. It's fine if I can see it but difficult in poor lighting or in the dark. I wonder if Apple would be open to the suggestion of bevelling the edges of the port so that the plug would more easily be guided into the hole?

Not if it would interfere with his Majesty Sir Jonathan Ive design as design take full president over function these days. :Smirk:

I thought Apple passed on their wireless charger system?
That was my understanding as well from the recent info I have read.

- Patrick
======

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Maybe a dental tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.