Can't find Big Sur to update from Mojave on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" 5K 1 TB ssd OS = Monterey 12.6.1
I can no longer see the option to select Big Sur as my chosen upgrade in the Software Update drop down in system preferences. It is only giving me the option of Monterey , which I don't want to install yet as it is very new ( I worry about bugs etc )

Lightroom has a new release that isn't compatible with Mojave that I currently have on my iMac, so I want to go to Big Sur

Where can I find Big Sur to upgrade ?

Cheers

Bernard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Here is what worked for me just now.

Go to Apple.com.
In the top bar, click on the spyglass icon to search
Enter "Install Big Sur" and press return
A few items down is an item that refers to downloading from the Mac App Store--click that
MAS opens a the download page for the Big Sur Installer.

I didn't download it because I can't run it but there you go...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That's a change isn't it Jake? It used to be a common question on this and other forums how to find the last macOS after a new macOS is released. Especially for those who wanted to go back to the previous macOS for various reasons.
I followed your directions and sure enough here it is;

Download macOS Big Sur from the App Store

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132?mt=12

Very handy to know, putting this in my Mac Tips an Tricks folder straight away.(y)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@Rod, I don't know if it's new, but Apple.com is always my first go-to for anything. They have an amazing amount of material available online and it's pretty easy to search.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't know precisely when that link went live, but I think it is relatively recent. We've certainly had our share of posts from members trying to download previous versions of the OS after a new version was released.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a change isn't it Jake? It used to be a common question on this and other forums how to find the last macOS after a new macOS is released. Especially for those who wanted to go back to the previous macOS for various reasons.

Very handy to know, putting this in my Mac Tips an Tricks folder straight away

Very handy to know, putting this in my Mac Tips an Tricks folder straight away.(y)
Hi

Thanks for the advice . Unfortunately the link only directs me to downloading Monterey..

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thats odd, here below are two screen shots of what I entered in the Search and what I see as a result. Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 1.29.16 pm.png
Just below the above screen is the Big Sur link. Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 1.29.42 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 1.29.42 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 1.29.42 pm.png

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats odd, here below are two screen shots of what I entered in the Search and what I see as a result. View attachment 34927
Just below the above screen is the Big Sur link. View attachment 34928 View attachment 34928 View attachment 34928
The link that ends in -big-sur/id1526878132?mt=12 is the one that I have been trying but it keeps going only to Monterey OS. I just dont know what to do now. I will have to contact Apple support and hope that they can help. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The link that ends in -big-sur/id1526878132?mt=12 is the one that I have been trying but it keeps going only to Monterey OS. I just dont know what to do now. I will have to contact Apple support and hope that they can help. Thanks
Clear your browser history. You should be using Safari.
Quit out of the browser. (command+Q)
Then reopen the browser.
The link should work now.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clear your browser history. You should be using Safari.
Quit out of the browser. (command+Q)
Then reopen the browser.
The link should work now.
Hi

Cleared history .. using Safari .. just the same result.... Will probably wait for a while whilst others find the problems / bugs that relate to Lightroom / Photoshop and then install Monterey... I will create bootable back up of Mojave before I do that of course just in case.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a plan, as I wrote in another post when you come to downloading the Monterey installer check the "More Info..." on the same window in System update, it's blue writing. That will take you to a window with any updates you need to download first, Safari 15.1 is one that comes to mind.

Big Sur may even reappear in the meantime. Apple has always removed the installer of the previous macOS on the App Store on release of a new one but they do come back again.

Why that link takes you to Monterey and me to Big Sur is a bit of a mystery unless it's because I have already installed Monterey.

This article indicates you can upgrade directly from Mojave to Monterey but your download may be larger because some of the components of Big Sur will be included;
It also describes the process in a step by step manner.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a plan, as I wrote in another post when you come to downloading the Monterey installer check the "More Info..." on the same window in System update, it's blue writing. That will take you to a window with any updates you need to download first, Safari 15.1 is one that comes to mind.

Big Sur may even reappear in the meantime. Apple has always removed the installer of the previous macOS on the App Store on release of a new one but they do come back again.

Why that link takes you to Monterey and me to Big Sur is a bit of a mystery unless it's because I have already installed Monterey.

This article indicates you can upgrade directly from Mojave to Monterey but your download may be larger because some of the components of Big Sur will be included;
It also describes the process in a step by step manner.

Hi Rod,

All done now thanks and Monterey is working fine.

I also have upgraded Lightroom and Photoshop to latest versions and then had to update Carbon Copy Cloner to V6 as V5 will not work properly with Monterey , so quite a few things undertaken.

The only thing that I have come across is Time Machine running very slowly ( I am not the only one with this issue )
I reformatted my dedicated external SSD ( for Time Machine only ) to APFS from Mac OS extended ( journalled ) and have set it off backing up this morning.Thanks for your help

Cheers

Bernard

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you have done all the right things. Well done. (y)

Reaction score
Hi Rod,

All done now thanks and Monterey is working fine.

I also have upgraded Lightroom and Photoshop to latest versions and then had to update Carbon Copy Cloner to V6 as V5 will not work properly with Monterey , so quite a few things undertaken.

The only thing that I have come across is Time Machine running very slowly ( I am not the only one with this issue )
I reformatted my dedicated external SSD ( for Time Machine only ) to APFS from Mac OS extended ( journalled ) and have set it off backing up this morning.Thanks for your help

Cheers

Bernard
Time machine works slowly because Spotlight wants to index it for faster searches.
go to your settings and go to Spotlight,there you can exclude your time machine backup HD from Spotlight indexing.

Reaction score
on the Big Sur item, when I click on get, it opens system preferences, says checking for updates, then says not found

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
on the Big Sur item, when I click on get, it opens system preferences, says checking for updates, then says not found

Assuming you are talking about the 2011 MBP in your signature, that machine can't install Big Sur or the last couple of macOS versions as per the tech specs.

That MBP can only go up to High Sierra, so you can't go to Catalina, Mojave, Big Sur or Monterrey or any newer version.

Tech specs for Big Sur: macOS Big Sur - Technical Specifications

Reaction score
I have it running Catalina via the patch I found on macrumors by dosdude, it runs Catalina as good or better than high Sierra

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Since you aren't following the official upgrade path, the Software Update widget (the official upgrade path) will not work for you obviously.

You'll need to find whatever hack is available (assuming one is) to run Big Sur like you are running Catalina on an unsupported Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.