Can't connect IPad to iMac or MB pro

Reaction score
Hello...so this just happened.

Not too long ago I was able to connect my iPad to both computers and transfer/copy songs from one to the other. But today I connected my iPad and got a message that said a software download was needed to connect to the iPad, but when I clicked 'install' it said it couldn't download the update because of a network problem.

did some research and updated my iPad to 17.3.1, but still I can't connect to the iMac or MB Pro. It says I still need the update (whicheverone that is supposed to be), and that when I click install I get the same message about not being able to download b/c of a network problem.

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 (and I don't think my mid 2010 iMac 11,6 can update to anything else), so I don't know what to do. i can download music from the Itunes store, but not transfer anything to my iMac or MB pro. Any help out there?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are at the edge of compatibility. Back in the day iTunes and iOS versions were tightly coupled and having them drift apart too far meant inability to sync.

Later version of macOS introduced the sync'ing capability into Finder itself bypassing iTunes (Music now). So you still manage your songs in Music and create playlists, but you can sync from Finder.

Ensure that you are running version 12.8.2.3 of iTunes on your High Sierra Macs. If you aren't, upgrade to that. If you are running that version, then the upgrade to iOS 17 means that you've drifted too far.

Your only recourse is to upgrade your macOS, which means a newer Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello...so this just happened.

Not too long ago I was able to connect my iPad to both computers and transfer/copy songs from one to the other. But today I connected my iPad and got a message that said a software download was needed to connect to the iPad, but when I clicked 'install' it said it couldn't download the update because of a network problem.

did some research and updated my iPad to 17.3.1, but still I can't connect to the iMac or MB Pro. It says I still need the update (whicheverone that is supposed to be), and that when I click install I get the same message about not being able to download b/c of a network problem.

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 (and I don't think my mid 2010 iMac 11,6 can update to anything else), so I don't know what to do. i can download music from the Itunes store, but not transfer anything to my iMac or MB pro. Any help out there?
Hi Straitsfan - from Ashwin's response appears that you may need to upgrade your Mac(s) (not sure which MBPro you own nor its installed macOs but assume 'ancient' too?) - now, if you can get one of those computers to recognize your iPad, then there is a Mac app called iMazing which I've used for years - has a wide assortment of features including transferring files between cabled Macs and iPad (and iPhones) - check the link for macOS compatibility and whether a free trial might be available?

Now, will it help you - I don't know, but see pics below - the first one shows my iPad Pro cabled to my MBAir; the Music app is opened on the iPad - the blue and red arrows and text boxes explain options of file transfer in either direction, including music. The second pic shows a new playlist I created from two folders transferred from my laptop to the iPad and then combined for the playlist. Good luck (but you do need a new computer - :)) - Dave

iMazing1.png Imazing2.jpg

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Oh good point Dave. Should definitely try iMazing to see if it can bypass the limitations..

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Definitely worth a try, I too use it for local iPhone/iPad backups. This page has compatible versions for early macOS. iMazing 2 so its entirely possible you will find a version that suits.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Excellent post, Dave. I tried it on a test basis and it worked for me. Very many thanks.

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't think I can upgrade to a newer mac -- I have High Sierra 10.13.1 (see my above post) and according to apple my iMac ad MB pro can't be upgraded to a newer OS.

Where can I get Itunes 12.8.3.2? I can still download to my iphone.

OP
S
Reaction score
and now my iPhone 7 plus is having battery issues. Is it possible to get that battery replaced?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
and now my iPhone 7 plus is having battery issues. Is it possible to get that battery replaced?
Hi again Straitsfan - you need to start a new thread with an appropriate title - others having the same issue will not find the posts deeply buried in your current thread - but to get you started on a 'battery question' check this recent thread and look at my post on Coconut Battery. Dave

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Straitsfan - from Ashwin's response appears that you may need to upgrade your Mac(s) (not sure which MBPro you own nor its installed macOs but assume 'ancient' too?) - now, if you can get one of those computers to recognize your iPad, then there is a Mac app called iMazing which I've used for years - has a wide assortment of features including transferring files between cabled Macs and iPad (and iPhones) - check the link for macOS compatibility and whether a free trial might be available?

Now, will it help you - I don't know, but see pics below - the first one shows my iPad Pro cabled to my MBAir; the Music app is opened on the iPad - the blue and red arrows and text boxes explain options of file transfer in either direction, including music. The second pic shows a new playlist I created from two folders transferred from my laptop to the iPad and then combined for the playlist. Good luck (but you do need a new computer - :)) - Dave

View attachment 39278 View attachment 39279

Just bought iMazing -- does exactly what I want. Thanks for the information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.