Can not scan anymore

Reaction score
Have a late 2009 Mac mine running El Capitan and after the last upgrade I can no longer use my scanner, when I go to use it a get a message saying Can't open Epson Scan because PowerPC applications are no longer supported. Is there a work around this problem or do I have to buy an new printer. I now have an Epson CX 6600 Which has served me great for a number of years, maybe too many. If anyone can help me please let me know. I tried to download a new driver but was told that I have the latest.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Epson Scan application PowerPC application that will not run on any version of OS X past 10.5 Lion. If the printer supports scanning to a USB stick, you'll have to go that route. You might want to see if there a new version of the Scan application that supports OS X 10.6+..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Have a late 2009 Mac mine running El Capitan and after the last upgrade I can no longer use my scanner, when I go to use it a get a message saying Can't open Epson Scan because PowerPC applications are no longer supported. Is there a work around this problem or do I have to buy an new printer. I now have an Epson CX 6600 Which has served me great for a number of years, maybe too many. If anyone can help me please let me know. I tried to download a new driver but was told that I have the latest.

Hi Greysquirrel.. - well, your Mac Mini is now considered a Vintage product in the USA and obsolete elsewhere in the world - look HERE (also first pic below from link); I suspect that your Epson printer is of similar age? You need to really consider upgrading your equipment and if you have important files (docs/music/pics), then make sure that you have backups!

As to your scanner, I visited the Epson website for your printer HERE - there appears to be a 'scanner driver' for your printer that will work w/ Apple's utility called Image Capture (see middle pic below) - download and install, then open 'Image Capture' on your Mini to see if the scanner is recognized - third pic shows the app opened on my MBPro and via Wi-Fi, my Canon scanner in the next room is seen. Let us know - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 12.34.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 12.27.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 12.32.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score

I know that this might sound simplistic, but usually when a scanner or printer stops working just after an upgrade to a new major version of the MacOS, the problem can be fixed by simply uninstalling the driver for your printer or scanner (which *must* be done first), and then re-installing the appropriate driver which you can download from the manufacturer's Web site.

I believe that you will find your existing scanner driver (to uninstall) here:
[hard drive] --> Library --> Image Capture --> Epson Scanner

You can download the driver for the CX6600 for El Capitan here:
https://epson.com/Support/Printers/...SPT_C11C578001?review-filter=Mac+OS+X+10.11.x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
...or check out VueScan here https://www.hamrick.com/ . There is a cost but it works with pretty much every scanner and there is a free trial available too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
+1 on what Randy and Sawday posted!!

"Vintage" my *****!!! Well maybe according to Apple. Gheese!!! ;P

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, after all of our advice and different options, I wish our OP would return and tell us which one or several may have worked! :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
Greysquirrel34
Reaction score
I know that this might sound simplistic, but usually when a scanner or printer stops working just after an upgrade to a new major version of the MacOS, the problem can be fixed by simply uninstalling the driver for your printer or scanner (which *must* be done first), and then re-installing the appropriate driver which you can download from the manufacturer's Web site.

I believe that you will find your existing scanner driver (to uninstall) here:
[hard drive] --> Library --> Image Capture --> Epson Scanner

You can download the driver for the CX6600 for El Capitan here:
https://epson.com/Support/Printers/...SPT_C11C578001?review-filter=Mac+OS+X+10.11.x

Sorry it so long to get back to everyone but it was unavoidable.
Must be getting too old but I can't find anything in the library that says epson scanner, the only thing I can find that says epson scanner is in Applications which is crossed out, I put that in the trash but I don't know if that got rid of the driver or no. If I do a spotlight search for epson scanner it has nothing that says drivers. The other suggestion that looks like it some links on it the actual links don't show up on my screen.
I may just have to buy Vuescan or use this problem to get a new computer and maybe a wireless printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
OP
Greysquirrel34
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first thing I did was to install a new driver and got a message that the latest driver was already installed.

Hi again - please review my first post and make sure that the driver you have installed is the one listed on the Epson website; then cable your scanner to the Mini and open Image Capture (present in your 'Applications' folder in Finder) - is the scanner recognized? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I do a spotlight search for epson scanner it has nothing that says drivers.

Greysquirrel34, et al
Do yourself a favor and download and use Find Any File.app to locate such files. Spotlight (aka stoplight won't disclose such files).
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It should noted that the "Find Any File" app that Patrick loves to recommend is no longer free. However, it does do a much better job finding things than Spotlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It should noted that the "Find Any File" app that Patrick loves to recommend is no longer free.

True, but it's actually shareware and has been for quite a while. As it says at his site:

Purchase ($6)
Find Any File is Shareware

You may try it out without buying first. Simply download it.

If you keep using it, though, you are expected to pay for it.

Caution note: Find Any File costs US $6 ($8 in the App Store).
Pay the developer directly!!! ;)

I should mention that a similar but different app EasyFind.app is free, but usually for different searching/finding purposes but also very handy and often better than Spotlight but not nearly as fast as FAF:
http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Sorry it so long to get back to everyone but it was unavoidable.
Must be getting too old but I can't find anything in the library that says epson scanner, the only thing I can find that says epson scanner is in Applications which is crossed out...

No, that wasn't it. The scanner driver for your Epson will be in one of your three Library files. And it needs to be deleted before you install a new driver.

As has been mentioned in this discussion thread, Spotlight doesn't search in places on your hard drive where there should only be system software, so you will need an alternate search engine to find the driver.

My favorite for this is:

EasyFind (free)
http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

Set EasyFind to look only for files and folders, to look for both visible and invisible files and folders, and to not search within files. Do a search for "Epson" and you will get a list of files that have that name in them, with paths to where they reside. You can delete the driver, when you find it, from right within EasyFind, using the circle/slash icon in EasyFind's toolbar.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi Greysquirrel34, just doing a bit of lateral thinking here but do you use a scanner a lot, like daily, and is it for A4 documents or photos. The reason I ask is because my canon flat bed scanner has practically become redundant since I got Genius Scan on my iPhone. Scanner pro is even better with built in OCR but it costs and I would not have purchased it had I not been so impressed with Genius Scan first.
If you are a frequent user of a scanner and or you don't have an iPhone this may be of no use to you but believe me it works so well that even 10 or more docs at a time is a breeze. I did have to set up a flat space with good lighting and a ruler to hold docs in place but I can literally use it anywhere.
Both apps can send the docs to my (and or anyone else's) laptop either by file sharing or email and the resolution is great. No more changing settings for paper size, scanable area or definition and with the latter app I can even edit using MS Word.
i recently completed a travel insurance claim for my wife scanned over 20 docs invoices and receipts, sent copies to my wife and myself and submitted them to our insurance company and having done this once before with our scanner I can tell you this was heaps easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The first thing I did was to install a new driver and got a message that the latest driver was already installed.

Do you still have the disc that came with the printer? (Some of us are very good about keeping those in a place where they can be found, even after many years.) If so, try reinstalling the software for the printer, then run Epson Software Updater. (That's what was on my disc for my Epson XP-420.) I have that, as well as Printer Utility, Scan, and Photo Scan in my Dock. I've never been prompted to run Software Updater ("Epson" precedes all of the apps I've listed) so I run it whenever I'm prompted by Office for Mac to update those apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.