Can I screen share with a new mini?

Reaction score
I've googled this without success. I want to buy a 2012 mini to replace one that failed. I won't have a monitor or keyboard to set it up. Will it support screen sharing out of the box?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"Out of the box" probably not. Something like this needs to be setup by the user before it will work.

Probably would need to at least temporarily connect a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to set things up initially.

HTH,

Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No, for initial setup, you'll need to connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Once setup, you can enable Screen Sharing and use it remotely.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. I have all the hardware in PA so I'll have to wait until I get back.

To share over WiFi the mini would have to be on my network. I think you can also share with bluetooth but the mini would have to be set up for that and probably isn't. Also, I've never tried o do that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can't share over Bluetooth, only over WiFi and yes, has to the same network. If that's not possible, then you can use other solutions to remotely access the Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
You can't share over Bluetooth, only over WiFi and yes, has to the same network. If that's not possible, then you can use other solutions to remotely access the Mini.

To be clear: Out of the box, Screen Sharing, File Sharing, etc., are not enabled. A trip to the System Preferences --> Sharing control panel will turn that on. (the "same network" thing Raz0rEdge mentioned isn't correct, unless I'm misunderstanding).

You may be able to SSH into the box (if you know the IP and there has to be a user account set up already) remotely and enable that... There are ways to do it... but definitely requires hands-on first. Maybe have it shipped to where you are, configure it, and then ship it to where you need it to be? Install a "What is my IP" app that sends the current dynamic allocation to your email, yadda yadda yadda.

hmm..... but no. Built-in screen sharing still requires a user to accept the request.

So you'll hae to configure something like TeamViewer or any of the other remote collaboration apps...

Is there no-one at the home base who could take some telephone instruction to get you in once, after which you can configure things as you like?

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Is there no-one at the home base who could take some telephone instruction to get you in once, after which you can configure things as you like?

Weird situation. The mini resides in PA and I'm in VA of a couple of weeks. I was going to ship it here and set it up when I got back to PA but I thought there might be a way to do it here. Apparently not.

Why ship it to VA? Slightly lower sales tax. Wow, I can save a buck!! Actually, there is a count-down to save $7.50 but it expires in a couple of days. In spite of that I may wait until I'm ready to return to PA and order it then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.