can I erase my time machine and start the backups over?

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini (Mid 2011) running 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and am using a 1 Tb Time Machine for backups. The Time Machine has been erratic lately: hasn't done a backup in over a month; the Status light is flashing amber (at 1/2 Hz); I got an error message about it being too full some time ago. (I thought it was supposed to delete old backups to make room for new backups?) Anyway, I am wondering if I can just use the Airport Utility to erase the TM disk and start over with new backups. I don't have any reason to want all the old backups and if I can re-start the whole back up process, I should have one good back up in a couple of hours.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a Mac Mini (Mid 2011) running 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and am using a 1 Tb Time Machine for backups. The Time Machine has been erratic lately: hasn't done a backup in over a month; the Status light is flashing amber (at 1/2 Hz); I got an error message about it being too full some time ago. (I thought it was supposed to delete old backups to make room for new backups?) Anyway, I am wondering if I can just use the Airport Utility to erase the TM disk and start over with new backups. I don't have any reason to want all the old backups and if I can re-start the whole back up process, I should have one good back up in a couple of hours.

Hi Kevin - please provide some more information: 1) Is the 1 TB 'Time Machine' an external HD, Time Capsule, or other; 2) Is the drive constantly plugged into your Mac Mini or do you do intermittent attachments (e.g. I have 2 always attached external HDs doing TM on my iMac; but on my Mac laptops, I do intermittent weekly backups); and 3) What is the size of the drive in the Mini and how filled is it?

From your description(s) above, I'm not sure if the problem may be in your TM software and/or your TM backup drive starting to fail? If this is your ONLY backup for the Mini, then I would suggest that you purchase a new HD, format Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and create a 'new' TM backup. Also, are you able to see the contents of the TM backup in Finder (first pic below, one of my MBPro's external TM HD)? Finally, that same HD that has been doing TM backups for over 3 years is only 1/3 filled (see second pic - blue circle), so surprised about your error message? Let me stop there for you to respond and for others to 'chime in' w/ suggestions. Good luck - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 5.46.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 5.47.12 PM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Kevin

The short answer is, yes you can Turn off Time Machine (TM) (System Preferences > TM > Slider to of), then I find it best if you click on "Add or remove Disk" and remove the TM EHD from the list.

Now reformat it via Disk Utility (DU) (found in Applications > Utilities >DU). Use OS X Extended (Journaled). Then add the EHD by going back into System Preferences > TM > Add Disk), then Turn on TM.

I h.ave found that repairing a TM EHD or reformatting it works best when the EHD is dissociated from TM itself. Your first BU will be long, thereafter incremental.

But take great care about what Dave mentioned above. The drive could be failing. That said, I have one mains-powered EHD that I have reformatted twice as it approached full capacity and it's still doing fine 6 years on.

Ian

OP
K
Reaction score
@Kevin

The short answer is, yes you can Turn off Time Machine (TM) (System Preferences > TM > Slider to of), then I find it best if you click on "Add or remove Disk" and remove the TM EHD from the list.

Now reformat it via Disk Utility (DU) (found in Applications > Utilities >DU). Use OS X Extended (Journaled). Then add the EHD by going back into System Preferences > TM > Add Disk), then Turn on TM.

I h.ave found that repairing a TM EHD or reformatting it works best when the EHD is dissociated from TM itself. Your first BU will be long, thereafter incremental.

But take great care about what Dave mentioned above. The drive could be failing. That said, I have one mains-powered EHD that I have reformatted twice as it approached full capacity and it's still doing fine 6 years on.

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the reply. I tried your instructions using the disk utility but the erase (format?) procedure failed. I tried first-aid and it failed too. Didn't get any useful error messages. It seems to me the disk is dying. Might have to run out and get a replacement. Grrrr.

Also, thanks to RadDave.

Kevin H.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.