Can I connect both a printer and a Seagate Backup (USB3) HD to an Airport time Capsul

Reaction score
I'm about to replace my old Airport time Capsule with a new one. I'd like to have the new Airport time Capsule connect to both a printer (USB2) and to an external Seagate Backup Plus HD (USB3) at the same time. But the Airport Time Capsules have only one USB port and it's USB2. Can I connect a USB hub to the Airport time Capsule and then run both the printer (USB2) and the backup HD (USB3) off the hub?

Thanks,
Ted

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've connected a hub to a Time Capsule before without problems. You can then attach the drive and printer to the hub. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. It is probably best to use a powered hub (plugs into an electrical outlet for power).
2. The drive will be limited to USB 2 speed since that is what the port provides.
3. Certain printer functions may not work in this configuration. When I did this with my Canon I could not access the ink levels from the computer nor could I scan. With my printer using the network utility solved some of these problems.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Let us know how well that works for you. There are probably other alternatives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.