Cable Provider, Airport & Trouble

Reaction score
I've been in h**l with TimeWarner Cable for the past 10 days. I have moved to a new residence. Every time I ask TWC to do something, like transfer my service, they screw everything up. After 1.5 hrs. on the phone today, I have my service and billing and account issues resolved.

There's just one thing. My service works if I connect directly from the modem to the computer. The service will not work through Airport base station, although the computer appears to be recognizing the WiFi connection. All I get is flashing yellow light on Airport, not solid green light.

Can I do something? Or has TWC made some sort of "selection" on their end that will not allow me to get service through the modem?

By the way, I have already tried ReStarting the computer and rebooting the router several times. Maybe I should try rebooting the router...?

C

chas_m

Unplug (from power) all the devices. Leave them completely unpowered for at least a minute.

Plug them back in, in this order:

1. TWC modem
2. Airport base station
3. Computer

Then, fire up the Airport Utility software on your Mac, and set up a new network.

OP
M
Reaction score
Unplug (from power) all the devices. Leave them completely unpowered for at least a minute.

1. TWC modem
2. Airport base station
3. Computer

Then, fire up the Airport Utility software on your Mac, and set up a new network.

Thanks.

Will the Airport Utility walk me thru how to set up a new network, or should I google search that before I unplug?

OP
M
Reaction score

1. TWC modem
2. Airport base station
3. Computer

Your solution worked perfectly, effortlessly.

Thank you!!!

C

chas_m

Glad to help. Modems can be persnickety (<- technical term) when it comes to the MAC address (nothing to do with Apple or Macs, its a kind of equipment identifier acronym) and tends to store the first one it ever connects to -- even if that device is long gone! A "power cycling" such as I described usually fixes that and similar issues.

OP
M
Reaction score
Glad to help. Modems can be persnickety (<- technical term) when it comes to the MAC address (nothing to do with Apple or Macs, its a kind of equipment identifier acronym) and tends to store the first one it ever connects to -- even if that device is long gone! A "power cycling" such as I described usually fixes that and similar issues.

I've got to unplug everyting tomorrow in order to switch to a power strip. What do you recommend? Same procedure again?

C

chas_m

Now that it is working, it will probably work fine regardless, but if you want to do the procedure again (except for the Airport Utility part) that will work fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Now that it is working, it will probably work fine regardless, but if you want to do the procedure again (except for the Airport Utility part) that will work fine.

Thanks.

BTW, I didn't do anything with the Airport Utility except open it. Everything started working fine, so I left it alone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.