Browsers slow opening with Monterey

Reaction score
Since updating to Monterey, both Chrome and Firefox are slow to open. In fact, Chrome can take up to 3 minutes to open. How can I fix this?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What machine? How fast was it before? What were you running before? Are you running the latest update of Monterrey? Latest version of Chrome & Firefox? Are other apps slow as well? Have you run any sort of maintenance app like OnyX? What does Activity Monitor report for CPU and memory usage?

Needs LOTs more info.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There really are numerous reasons for why things may be slowing down after an upgrade, an update is merely a new version of what you already have, an Upgrade is a different operating system entirely.

So if it is just your browsers that have slowed down I would suggest that is due to either network speed or a compatibility issue with the applications in question. The best means of elimination here would be to compare Chrome and Firefox to Safari. If Safari is also very slow it could be due to a temporary network demands from Spotlight which may be Reindexing your data or iCloud downloading backed up data such as contacts, emails, photos, music ect.

These are only guesses though because we do not know how you upgraded, eg clean instal, upgrade over existing macOS or onto what device.

So please get back to us with the info from About This Mac under the Apple Menu (we don't need your serial number) Just Model, Year and Memory and remaining free storage from the Storage tab on the same window.

Reaction score
Since updating to Monterey, both Chrome and Firefox are slow to open. In fact, Chrome can take up to 3 minutes to open. How can I fix this?

I've noticed that all Chromium-based Web browsers have the same peccadillo. That is that every now and then you need to re-set your startup page (even if you just set it to the exact same page), or they will become annoyingly slow to launch.

Also, I understand your liking Google's Chrome. It's really fast and nicely featured, but...it's filled with Google's spyware. I highly recommend chucking it. The good news is that there are a bunch of Chromium-based Web browsers on the market, only with all of Google's spyware stripped out, and lots of nice other features added. I highly recommend:

Brave browser (free)

Brave is very much like Chrome (as both are based on Chromium), only it provides wonderful security. It's FAST. It blocks ads without the need to add any sort of extension. It's quite customizable. It's a wonderful browser.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I certainly second Randy's recommendation. I also use Brave browser and have done for some time. Don't be put off by Brave's unique web site rewards scheme (BAT) you can opt in or out as you choose it's not activated by default.

I also have Firefox and have not had any trouble with that but whenever I upgrade my operating system I do not usually import 3rd party browsers. I download fresh copies of my browsers from the developer's website. So if you are having ongoing problems with chromium based browsers I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the browser in question. All your preferences, bookmarks, extensions should download once you login again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.