Bought a new Macbook pro and got this on start up

Reaction score
Hi all

I just bought a new Pro from eBay, everything seems legit. Unwrapped the mac and got the message to say that it was a Unilever laptop.

It's new and am wondering if there's a way of removing this so I can use the laptop.

I've tried the ways of doing a factor restore (even thought it technically has been turned on for the first time today). Option, Command, P, and R

Is there any other way?
Otherwise I'll send it back to the seller.

Attachments

• 972EAE8A-FAA3-417D-9D59-6C2136875729.jpeg
    972EAE8A-FAA3-417D-9D59-6C2136875729.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 34
  • D7F68FCD-A1BF-4F56-BAD9-A838C763A6BE.jpeg
    D7F68FCD-A1BF-4F56-BAD9-A838C763A6BE.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 33

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi and a very warm welcome to our forums.

I am no expert in this area, but it seems to me that Unilever “owns” that Mac. Maybe it was being used by an employee of Unilever?

This is not a brand new Mac. It has been used previously and that raises questions about permissions, about whether there is another Apple ID associated with it.

The second screenshot is asking you to allow Unilever to control your Mac remotely. If it were me, I would send this back and demand a refund. I could never trust this Mac given what you’ve posted.

Other members here may have other suggestions.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The second screenshot is asking you to allow Unilever to control your Mac remotely. If it were me, I would send this back and demand a refund. I could never trust this Mac given what you’ve posted.

Good advice! I agree with Ian, send it back and ask for a refund. Hopefully you used PayPal.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just bought a new Pro from eBay, everything seems legit. Unwrapped the mac and got the message to say that it was a Unilever laptop.
Almost obviously this can't be a brand new MacBook Pro. Maybe it's "new to you"...but looks like a used computer to me. Like Ian said...this almost certainly was a company computer of some sort. I know companies sometimes setup their employee computers in special ways in order to manage them better.

It's possible the computers firmware was modified in some way...if this is the case...much harder for a user to clear it than if it's just on the SSD.

Nick

Reaction score
Send it back, you bought a MacBook and they sent you a different manufacturer’s product

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Get your money back. Beats me how people can sell stuff in that state. Either way it's certainly a company device or was. May be the seller had little or no knowledge about Mac computers or thought someone who did would fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for all your advice. I'm gonna send it back. Got it for a good price. The seller says he was unaware. As the laptop was completely sealed when he sold it.

Thankfully paid using PayPal - so should be OK 👍

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.