Bootcamp help

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my Mac book pro retina, which I purchased in September 2015. It is running OS X El Capitan 10.11.1. I have the ISO Windows file on my desktop as instructed. When following tutorials on YouTube and instructions on the internet my bootcamp doesn't open with the same options as what is suggested it should. Mine jumps straight to the part where you partition the hard drive and select the iso file you want to use. Once it has done this it then will not open windows it justs keeps opening the OS X system even though it says it has been successful. Hope this makes sense and somebody can help. Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The latest version of the Boot Camp Assistant is completely automated. What you are seeing is normal. Just let it go ahead and create the partition, start the Windows 10 installation, and finally install drivers. Do not follow the YouTube instructions which may not be up to date. If the Windows installation hasn't started automatically by the Boot Camp Assistant, then you may have missed a step along the way.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your help. I've managed to get it installed but the second problem I'm having now is installing the bootcamp drivers on Windows. It gets to about half way and doesn't seem to be doing anything and it has been like this for a good hou. Next to status it says realtek audio if that means anything? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2015 i7 quad-core 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD / El Capitan
Hi, thanks for your help. I've managed to get it installed but the second problem I'm having now is installing the bootcamp drivers on Windows. It gets to about half way and doesn't seem to be doing anything and it has been like this for a good hou. Next to status it says realtek audio if that means anything? Thanks.

Hi Phillmk,
I've got the same exact problem when I was installing Windows 10 on my MacBook - the driver installation stuck exactly on realtek audio installation.
The solution I applied was as follows: I went to the place of location of the Realtek drivers on the media Boot camp assistant created and manually installed Realtek audio drivers from there WITHOUT CLOSING THE BOOTCAMP ASSISTANT WINDOWS DRIVERS DIALOG BOX (This is very important!!!) After the Realtek drivers had been installed, the frozen dialogue box unfroze and the installation completed without any further problems.

If instead you resigned and closed that dialogue, chances are the installation of the windows drivers haven't properly completed. In this case you should apply this solution:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204923

and once the drivers reinstallation freezes again on Realtek audio drivers, apply the procedure described above and that's it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's an interesting fix. I did not have that issue when I did the Windows 10 setup on my iMac but I probably wouldn't have thought of this as a fix.Thanks for posting it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply. I spoke to apple support on the phone and they talked me through the same procedure as you have described above. Installation was completed once the driver was installed manually. Many thanks for the reply and I hope this thread will help somebody out if they have the same problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
Well done, folks. Someone should sticky this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.