BlueTooth

Reaction score
hello
I'm having trouble with AirDrop, but it is Bluetooth that is the root of the problem.

My MacBook Pro supports AirDrop. running MacOS Sierra
My Iphone 5 is IOS 10.0.1
The MacBook and Iphone will not pair.
After trying many idea's from the net, I finally went into the system preference into Bluetooth
and it showed the Iphone, and it was trying to connect. I clicked on "pair" and
on the screen it showed Iphone connected, but on the Iphone was a box with a number
which also was on the Mac, it asked to either cancel or Pair. I clicked on pair, and the
connection was lost.
What is going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
In addition to Bluetooth both devices need to be on the same network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, BT on iPhone doesn't pair with computers like it does with external speakers and the like.

It's a cut down version. AirDrop makes the connection it needs automatically.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is going on.

As Kevin noted above, you can not "pair" an iOS device to your computer as you would say, your keyboard or mouse.

OP
S
Reaction score
So then after reading for about an hour, It really is just AirDrop that is connecting to devices.
So why then in my Airdrop app it does not see my Iphone
My Iphone bluetooth is on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlueTooth must be turned on, on both devices and both must be on the same wifi network.

You could try, on the phone, Settings/Reset/Reser Network Settings in case something has gone screwy.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, I get it. AirDrop does not always work. Period.
My Airdrop "window" does not even have the (discovery) wording.. which I think it is suppose to have.
Talking with my friend in Hawaii last night, she could not use AirDrop either and for the same reason I'm having.
Yes my MacBook Pro supports AirDrop, as does my Iphone 5 IOS 10.0.1.
I had tried all the recommended fixes, none of which fixed anything.
Since I have never used AirDrop, I guess I have not missed anything.
Even Apple on their help pages do not address AirDrop directly, at least not from my search.
Just for the fun of it, If you do have AirDrop working, Is it possible to post a picture of the AirDrop window with a clear
view
Best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've updated that post as a result of your question because I forgot to note that BT must be turned on, so thank you for reminding me.

Yes, your devices are compatible with AirDrop. It's the first thing I checked when I saw that you has an older phone.

Occasionally, my computer doesn't see my iPhone 5s in AirDrop but usually gets there in the end.

I'll update that post again with more screenshots as soon as I'm able to. Right now I'm in a truck and won't be home for several days. I'll post back here when I've done it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin, but unless you really want to spend the time, you don't have to post anything.
there are third party Apps that do the same thing for Free on ITunes. I might go that route, or do nothing, as I have
not needed to use an APP like Airdrop before. I just hate to be beat.
Best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's no problem. Knowing what it should do is easy. Figuring out why it doesn't is not, and the fun part. The more problems I can help to solve, the more I can learn about my own equipment.

Solutions often appear simple, but may have taken a lot of figuring out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.