Bluetooth mouse in Windows 10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2015 i7 quad-core 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD / El Capitan
Hi,

My problem is - my old Bluetooth Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse refuses to pair in Windows 10! It paired instantly in OS X, yet it refuses to do so in Windows 10!
So far I have done as follows: started Windows, opened Settings - Bluetooth box, then turn my mouse on, then pressed and held the 'pairing' button on it, the mouse appears on the list of discovered devices, I select 'Pair' and after a second or so Windows says 'Could not pair, try again and make sure the mouse is discoverable again' - and the mouse disappears from the list and is not seen again there until I restart Windows. I repeated the same procedure dozens of times and so far was unsuccessful at pairing it in Windows 10.
So my question is - has anyone managed to successfully pair this mouse in Windows 10? Or any other Bluetooth mouse? (I'm ready to buy one, if I'm absolutely certain it'll work under Windows 10.)
I've been reading various forums, apparently I'm not the only one experiencing the same problem and so far no definite solution has been found.

(My equipment: MacBook Pro Retina 15'' late 2015 (quad core i7, 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD), OS X 10.11.3 / Windows 10 Home 64bit in boot camp.)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When in Windows go to the link and download the driver for whatever model your Comfort Mouse may be:-

https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-au/downloads

Unfortunately, it didn't work - the behaviour is as before: I see the mouse, I select 'Pair', the same error message and the mouse disappears from the list of devices.
Unfortunately, I can't test any other Bluetooth mouse - I've got only one.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An update on this.
I finally managed to pair the mouse with Windows 10 as well.
In order to do it, I unpaired it in OS X first, then I did exactly the same procedure described above, only that now the mouse paired without any problem.
Then I went back to OS X and paired the mouse there.
When I returned back to Windows 10, the mouse was recognized immediately.
So, the problem solved (fingers crossed - I hope it'll stay this way when I restart my MacBook Pro), however a question bothers me: I thought Windows and OS X are completely independent, then how come the fact that I paired the mouse in OS X first affects pairing in Windows 10?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for posting back. I wouldn't have expected the order of pairing to make a difference. Maybe this will help someone else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, the problem solved (fingers crossed - I hope it'll stay this way when I restart my MacBook Pro), however a question bothers me: I thought Windows and OS X are completely independent, then how come the fact that I paired the mouse in OS X first affects pairing in Windows 10?

My guess is because the BT driver software is controlled and provided by OS X for Windows. Remember, you downloaded drivers for Windows 10 from Apple.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still it's strange - I had to switch on BT separately in Windows 10; you'd think it'd stay turned on after I turned it on in OS X. Curiouser and curiouser...
Anyway, after I switched my Mac off and turned it back on, my mouse remains quite operational in both OSes- I can't be happier :)

P.S. Apparently, the scrolling wheel speed setting in Settings - Devices - Mouse and Touchpad also affects the touchpad scrolling speed. I have to keep it on 1 to keep the touchpad scroll at a normal speed. Just another reason to dislike Windows....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.