Bluetooth failing on MacBook Pro - I've tried everything - what are my options?

HumeanBean

Reaction score
I have a mid-2014 13" MBPr running Big Sur 11.7.3

A few days ago, Bluetooth started losing connections to my Apple mouse, Apple keyboard, and bluetooth speakers.

Now, it's gotten to the point where it connects, but won't stay connected more than 30 seconds, for any bluetooth device.

I've tried the following solutions:
  • reset NVRAM
  • reset SMC
  • deleted PLIST files and restarted
  • reset bluetooth module
  • reinstalled operating system from recovery mode
  • unpaired and re-paired the devices many, many times
  • run the system hardware diagnostic by restarting and holding down d-key ("no issues found")

None of these steps has had any effect. What should I do?

Reaction score
A few days ago, Bluetooth started losing connections to my Apple mouse, Apple keyboard, and bluetooth speakers.

None of these steps has had any effect. What should I do?

Have a look at:

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201542

How To Fix Mac Bluetooth Issues
https://9to5mac.com/2022/02/16/how-to-fix-mac-bluetooth-issues/

As a consultant, I've seen innumerable cases where Bluetooth peripherals just insisted on being flaky no matter what was tried. Usually I simply recommend against using Bluetooth peripherals, and instead recommend wired keyboards, and RF mice. However, that would be an extreme step for you because you also have Bluetooth speakers, which I'm sure weren't cheap, and so I'm guessing that you really wouldn't want to have to stop using them.

OP
H

HumeanBean

Reaction score
Have a look at:

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference
Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

How To Fix Mac Bluetooth Issues
5 tips and tricks to fix Bluetooth connection issues on Mac

As a consultant, I've seen innumerable cases where Bluetooth peripherals just insisted on being flaky no matter what was tried. Usually I simply recommend against using Bluetooth peripherals, and instead recommend wired keyboards, and RF mice. However, that would be an extreme step for you because you also have Bluetooth speakers, which I'm sure weren't cheap, and so I'm guessing that you really wouldn't want to have to stop using them.
Hi Randy, thanks for the reply and additionaly information.

I'm very doubtful the problem is bluetooth interference, because I've had the exact same setup with the same devices on the same desk for several years, with zero problems, and then all at once, the problems start on every device. To test out this theory, I've also tried moving my laptop to another room with only one bluetooth device, to eliminate interference, and it didn't help. I turned off my router to eliminate Wifi, and it didn't do anything.

I've also tried the suggestions in the second link (resetting bluetooth module, moving devices closer) and this had no effect. Even if I have only one bluetooth device turned on, and it is 5cm in front of my computer, it still won't remain connected for more than 10 seconds.

I believe the problem is something with my computer itself, rather than interference.
You're correct that replacing all bluetooth connections with wires isn't something I'm eager to do.
Instead, I'm considering just buying an external USB dongle, to see if that fixes the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Hi Randy, thanks for the reply and additionaly information.

I'm very doubtful the problem is bluetooth interference, because I've had the exact same setup with the same devices on the same desk for several years, with zero problems, and then all at once, the problems start on every device. To test out this theory, I've also tried moving my laptop to another room with only one bluetooth device, to eliminate interference, and it didn't help. I turned off my router to eliminate Wifi, and it didn't do anything.

I've also tried the suggestions in the second link (resetting bluetooth module, moving devices closer) and this had no effect. Even if I have only one bluetooth device turned on, and it is 5cm in front of my computer, it still won't remain connected for more than 10 seconds.

I believe the problem is something with my computer itself, rather than interference.
You're correct that replacing all bluetooth connections with wires isn't something I'm eager to do.
Instead, I'm considering just buying an external USB dongle, to see if that fixes the problem.
BT operates on a frequency that is shared with many other devices, not all of them computer-related. BT is a weak signal service, so the range is short. But that short range does not mean that a stronger signal from further away won't interfere. Your neighbor, if you have one, could have changed something. Or you moved something, just a few inches, and changed the radio wave distribution in your home. And the interference from other signals has peaks and valleys, so even being 5cm from your computer, if it is in a valley, you could have issues. You might have added a new device that uses the same frequency bands, like a new TV, or some remote controlled device. Or your neighbor did. BT is, as Randy said, kind of known for interference issues.

That said, your Mac is 8 years old, and the transmitter/receiver for BT could be weakening. The USB approach may or may not help.

Reaction score

You may be right, but whenever I've actually been able to solve a Bluetooth problem, it has almost always been an interference problem.

It's surprising the kinds of things that have caused the interference. Once it was a cordless telephone. Once it was a florescent desk lamp. It could be something in the next room. It takes some experimentation to find the culprit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Could also be some WiFi, the 2.4Ghz band is close to BT and can cause issues. So, a new home automation device, bulb, controller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.