Blind Mac Mini server remotely logging in at start when File Vault is active - how to?

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini as a blind server (running a normal OS11 version). I would like to have File Vault activated. Presently it is now because in case of a power failure or so it will not boot up without me needing a password.

Now all this would not be a big problem if
  • It was not a blind server.
  • It was easily accessible (it is located in a storeroom on the top shelf in the back)
  • And it would be a pain to hook a screen up to it (as said storeroom – there is no space to connect a screen of normal size)
Now when it reboots, I think it will not be available in screen sharing or for example in TeamViewer.

So, either find a cheap (very small) screen (I have not been able to find one) that is permanently hooked up and connect a keyboard when needed. Or connect to the Mac Mini when it asks for a password at login.

Anybody know or have a solution? I hope so!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
As far as I know, you can't, and it would be silly to. Think about it. The whole point of FileVault is to encrypt your drive contents so no one can snoop through them. Now, if your Mac logs in to a user automatically, then anyone is free to snoop through the contents by merely rebooting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Turn off FileVault, then you can set your default user to not need the password in System Preferences/Security & Privacy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You have two choices:

1. Keep FileVault and have to log in manually. NO way around that requirement exists.
2. Remove FileVault and set automatic login.

That's it. There is no other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.