Bleah.... the DELETE key on my M1 MBA is failing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well this is annoying. The DELETE key on my 2020 M1 MBA is starting to fail on me. Unfortunately I don't have AppleCare. Yeah, I know there are fans of it and actually I had intended to get it but missed the window to add it on. ANYWAY... has anyone ever replaced a key before on these? I found a site that sells replacement keys and they have a video walking through the process of replacing them. It looks simple enough, and cheap.

One more video from another reseller:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
I really hope it's just the key top that's misbehaving, not the switch itself. Fingers crossed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I really hope it's just the key top that's misbehaving, not the switch itself.

I was thinking the same thing myself, as isn't it the contact switch area below the actual key that makes the key work properly or not...???

EDIT: I still can't really tell where the actual switching contact is taking place, but I would suspect it is under the key mechanism that one can expose:

EDIT 2:
This video actually shows the actual key contacts makes the key function properly or not:

They can be very very fussy... at least if they were anything like the old Apple keyboard contacts mechanisms... very simple and very crude and very very fussy as to whether they work correctly or not... but remarkably reliable...

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The key seems to be working properly again here. Guessing something got in under the key and now it's out? /shrug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The key seems to be working properly again here. Guessing something got in under the key and now it's out? /shrug

Good news, I'm glad you got a fix.

This might be a good time to tip the keyboard on its side and upside down and give it a fair number of good long blasts using an aerosol can of "Dust-Off" with the extension blast tube attached and with the blast tube aimed under the keys...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Many years ago I was sat in my garden with my white MacBook on my lap. Dexter, my border terrier, was a very young pup at the time and after doing several laps of the garden leapt up onto my lap from my side, knocking several keys and the scissor switches underneath them flying!!
I was lucky that I was able to source and fit replacements.
I still have both the MacBook and Dexter, and they both still work although somewhat slower these days!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Many years ago I was sat in my garden with my white MacBook on my lap. Dexter, my border terrier, was a very young pup at the time and after doing several laps of the garden leapt up onto my lap from my side, knocking several keys and the scissor switches underneath them flying!!
I was lucky that I was able to source and fit replacements.
I still have both the MacBook and Dexter, and they both still work although somewhat slower these days!!
Speaking on behalf of Dexter, I must remind you of the following rule, which has stood the test of time. When events such as these occur, the cat did it. It's the cat. It's always the cat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.