• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Black Friday/Cyber Monday purchases

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
So what kinds of purchases did you guys do over the black friday/cyber monday timeframe?

My wife ended up getting a Tonal workout machine for when the basement will be finished and I opted to put my current Samsung Plasma TV (about 9 years old) down in the basement as well and upgrade to new LG OLED TV. This TV should work really when for when I upgrade to the PS5 sometime next year when not having to fight the hordes for one right now. :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
for when the basement will be finished

Oh, Ashwin, I recognise this statement so well. It is the perpetual dream that one day, some day, it will all be done by which time you will need replace all the items you moved there in anticipation:smile:wink:rofl

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No Black Friday/Cyber Monday purchases yet...but got to start super soon. Especially with Covid...pretty sure near 100% of my holiday purchases will be online.

Hey Ashwin...we have about a 9+ year old Samsung Plasma as well (50"). We haven't used it in years...moved it recently to our guest bedroom. We've totally moved on to LED TV's. We used to play our Playstation on the Samsung plasma...and it was absolutely terrible when it came to ghost images/burn in. After only like 30 seconds the static images were temporarily burned in/ghosting.

I think we've decided to go with a PS5 as well. We currently have a PS3...and thought about getting a PS4 when prices drop due to PS5 launch. But PS4 prices don't seem like they will drop much...and official retail price of PS5 is not much more than new PS4. Even used PS4's on ebay are selling for a bunch.

Like you said...will have to wait a bit until the PS5 craziness is over. Lol

- Nick

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Nick, that's strange about your Plasma having issues with games. I've got the 65" Samsung Plasma and that's been our primary TV since 2011 and I use it to play games on my PS4/Xbox One without any issues of ghosting or lag or anything.

The only reason I'm upgrading is that I'm getting the PS5 in the near future and would like to have the higher resolution 4K and so on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Definitely had issues with our Samsung plasma. "Issues" may be too strong a word...since it works fine for watching regular TV. But when anything static is on the screen for say 30-60 seconds or longer (like onscreen menu's or static graphics in games)...there was definite ghosting of images. They would go away after a while once the image changed (nothing permanent).

Nothing in the setup settings helped. I believe there's a setting called "pixel shift"...when the image is shifted around by a few pixels every so often to prevent permanent burn-in (but not enough to notice while watching).

I checked things more closely...looks like our Samsung Plasma is more like 12-13 years old. Possibily making it an older generation plasma...and maybe having more image ghosting issues.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.