Better keyboard for my 2019 iMac

Reaction score
Apple makes some good stuff but their keyboards are not good examples of that. Since my current Magic Keyboard (with keypad) is dying, it's time to find a better one. Requirements (and desirements):
  • Mechanical keys (no more "chiclet" keys)
  • Illuminated keys
  • Separate keypad
  • Mac specific (prefer not to remap a PC keyboard)
  • Prefer wireless (BT, not one of those stupid Logitech "Unifying" dongles) although I could deal with USB if I had to
I found this one, curious if anyone has experience with it? The keys are mechanical but have gotten good reviews from typists (to be clear, I'm not, but after years of using a "real" keyboard I just can't seems to like the Apple ones). Other options are sought as well.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
I doubt that you will find a keyboard that offers everything that you are looking for.

Here are some excellent keyboards to have a look at. All of them will require that you either do without some features or overlook others. But all of them are amazing to touch-type on.

Unicomp buckling spring keyboard for Macintosh
SpaceSaverM $125
http://pckeyboard.com/
https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/NEW_M
The same buckling spring keyboard that made IBM keyboards famous. Now manufactured under license.

AUKEY Mechanical Gaming Keyboard 104 Keys Red Switches LED Backlit Light for PC Gamer Computer Compatible with Windows/Mac KM-G18
$20
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AUKEY-Me...ng-Wired-USB-Keyboard-for-PC-Laptop/651431306
Review:
(This is the least expensive high quality mechanical key mechanism keyboard that you can buy. It is a screaming deal!)

Brand New Genuine Apple A1048 English wired full size USB keyboard 658-0306
$57.80 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233327461239
The best keyboard Apple ever made...brand new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
Too bad that Aukey keyboard isn't available in Canada.... unless someone has a link?

Reaction score
Too bad that Aukey keyboard isn't available in Canada.... unless someone has a link?

Walmart Canada has a special Aukey store with similar keyboards:

And Aukey has their own Canadian Web site:

Aukey Canada Official Website

You might want to contact them and ask if they can get you a KMG18.

Alternatively, the very similar Aukey KMG14 is available in Canada from BestBuy for only $25(Canadian):

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...d-compact-87key-with-gaming-software/16567361

Here is a review of the KMG14:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
Thanks, Randy. Unless my researching skills have atrophied since my university days, the Aukey Canada site does not sell keyboards. Weird! They only sell cables, charges, portable batteries and hubs.

I had visited Walmart.ca, and did a search for "Aukey" which turns up - cables, chargers, hubs... but no keyboards. Only using your link did the Aukey keyboards appear. More weirdness.

Is there a 10-words-or-less explanation of the differences between the KMG12 and KMG14? (apart from the KMG12 having a number pad, which I prefer - the mechanisms are the same?)

Reaction score
Thanks, Randy. Unless my researching skills have atrophied since my university days, the Aukey Canada site does not sell keyboards. Weird! They only sell cables, charges, portable batteries and hubs.

Maybe I'm just more pushy than you are, but what would it hurt to drop Aukey/Canada an e-mail and ask if they can get you the keyboard that you want? I'm guessing that they are in business to sell stuff and that they like customers with cash in hand. These keyboards don't come from the U.S., they come from China. Aukey/Canada can probably source whatever they want from Aukey/China, and make a profit while doing so.

While we are talking about getting things directly from China...does this very inexpensive "Yindiao" keyboard look familiar?

https://www.temu.com/yindiao-k500-k...ard-notebook-universal-g-601099516359037.html

And does this one look suspiciously like the pink Aukey unit?:

https://www.temu.com/yindiao-wired-...top-notebook-universal-g-601099516749605.html

Both of these keyboards are dirt cheap and will ship to Canada!

Is there a 10-words-or-less explanation of the differences between the KMG12 and KMG14? (apart from the KMG12 having a number pad, which I prefer - the mechanisms are the same?)

I gave you links to video reviews of the two different keyboards. To discern the subtle differences between the two I would have to do what you can do yourself, and that is to watch both and look for differences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Here are some excellent keyboards to have a look at. All of them will require that you either do without some features or overlook others. But all of them are amazing to touch-type on.

I'm just being a bit curious here, but have the usual and often recommended Matias keyboards lost some of their favor as I didn't see them mentioned or recommended here at all???:
Matias Products

EDIT:
The Matthias keyboards certainly get some good reviews and recommendations elsewhere.

As I said I'm just curious why they weren't mentioned???

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm just being a bit curious here, but have the usual and often recommended Matias keyboards lost some of their favor as I didn't see them mentioned or recommended here at all???

I'm typing on a Matias keyboard as I write this. I have three of them in my office, comprising two different models. Both models have been discontinued, with no logical replacement. That's a shame, because at one time I would have classified them as the go-to brand for a replacement keyboard for the Mac.

The thing is, I can't make a good case for any of Matias' current models of keyboard. They still make quite good keyboards, but none of their current models seem to me to be a good choice over products available from competitors.

They make direct replacements for Apple's own current keyboards, for a little bit less money, but a genuine Apple chicklet keyboard, in my opinion, is a better option for only a bit more.

They make a direct replacement for Apple's A1048 keyboard, but as I noted in my previous post, you can still find a brand-new genuine Apple A1048, for significantly less money.

Matias offers their own high end keyboard with mechanical switches, and it's a good keyboard, but it is not as good as a Unicomp keyboard, and the Unicomp keyboard is similarly priced.

So, basically, Matias makes good keyboards, their budget keyboards are gone, and their up-market keyboards aren't compelling. They aren't a bad choice, they just aren't the best choice against competing products.

krs

Reaction score
When I was looking for a replacement high visibility keyboard, Matias keyboards were on my list.
I needed backlit, wired USB-A, full size, prererably with at leastone USB port for a mouse.
Looked at this Matias one;
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079VP6G7S/

Average rating 2.9/5.0, seems to have reliability issues, also a ridiculous price.
Crossed Matias off my list very early.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, basically, Matias makes good keyboards, their budget keyboards are gone, and their up-market keyboards aren't compelling. They aren't a bad choice, they just aren't the best choice against competing products.

Thanks, Randy for the up-to-date and quite complete info on the Matias keyboards.
It's too bad that they didn't keep up with their good-quality, reliable keyboards with good typing response some of their models were famous for and still available at a reasonable price.

It seems odd to me how many such companies seem to manage to be able to shoot themselves in the foot so often rather than improving and possibly lowering the price of their previous successful and well-respected products. If the bean counters are responsible, it seems like an odd way to be counting beans if you want to have a successful company. Strange I must say.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
It seems odd to me how many such companies seem to manage to be able to shoot themselves in the foot so often rather than improving and possibly lowering the price of their previous successful and well-respected products.

This is completely off-topic, but some day I would love for someone with a degree in business to explain a lot of these sorts of things to me.

Back in the day, Matias sold the "USB Keyboard" for the Mac. It had a USB dock right on top, for quickly inserting USB flash drives, it had excellent feel and reliability, and it was very reasonably priced. They must have sold a container-ship full of them:

https://www.matias.ca/usb2keyboard/

Then they discontinued this keyboard without providing a replacement. Why? When you have a hit, why not keep on riding it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is completely off-topic, but some day I would love for someone with a degree in business to explain a lot of these sorts of things to me.

I sure do not have any degree in Business Administration, but my theory is, at least for many Canadian businesses who do such mind-boggling things, they want and expect the ruling government to come in with some financial assistance to help bail out such companies so that those responsible for the situation can grab and then run off with some huge bailout $$ dollar amount that they think they should deserve. And then try and blame some other company for their downfall...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I sure do not have any degree in Business Administration, but my theory is, at least for many Canadian businesses who do such mind-boggling things, they want and expect the ruling government to come in with some financial assistance to help bail out such companies so that those responsible for the situation can grab and then run off with some huge bailout $$ dollar amount that they think they should deserve. And then try and blame some other company for their downfall...

Well, we seem to be getting into some weird discussion of Canadian politics. That's too OT for me.

Besides, it doesn't make any sense. Running a successful business that succeeds long term should be wildly more lucrative than any government bailout.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Average rating 2.9/5.0, seems to have reliability issues, also a ridiculous price.
Crossed Matias off my list very early.

If you ever happen to change your mind on purchasing that Matias keyboard, I see the company is selling them at their own website for a much more reasonable price, notwithstanding the other issues that have been mentioned:

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
If you ever happen to change your mind on purchasing that Matias keyboard, I see the company is selling them at their own website for a much more reasonable price, notwithstanding the other issues that have been mentioned:
I looked at Matias keyboards again yesterday.
As far as I can tell that $99.- price for the backlit one is the regular US dollar price.
The regular Cdn dollar price is $C168.-

When I was looking for a backlit Mac keyboard a while back, the Matias one that showed up on google was never in stock anywhere and then I came across a lot of negative reviews so I stopped looking at Matias.
I ended up buying a backlit wired MacAlly full sized keyboard for a bit over $C70.-
Works fine so far, the one annoying thing is that the LED that comes on if one hits the caps lock key is at the top right, not part of the key like all the other Mac keyboards I had.
So I'm going to disable the caps lock key since I never use that function anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I can tell that $99.- price for the backlit one is the regular US dollar price.
The regular Cdn dollar price is $C168.-

That's rather unethical and sneaky and I assumed it was the Canadian price and didn't see any indication of what the actual price was listed out or based on.

Anyway, not for me to worry about, as I picked up an "as new" Apple A1243 wired extended keyboard with numerical pad from a local Mac repair guy that was retiring from his business which should do me for a spare if I should ever need one.

One's local Facebook Marketplace or Used(Townname) site might still be a good place to check for those needing such a keyboard.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.