BestBuy has the 2.6 mini for $599

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
And I like it just fine. Original Apple user who left for windows a few years ago when my 2006 Macbook screen died. My first computer was a Strawberry G3 Imac. I really liked that machine.

So I noticed the mac mini refurb at the Apple store and figured I give it a try. Only 4g ram and 1.4 ghz. Everything works just fine for what I do. I don't game and my kid who did bought himself a gaming laptop for himself.

I have been using Iphone for several years.

I put my dell tower for sale on craigslist and already have it sold, paying for half of the mac.

I picked the mini because it was cheap and still has lot's of ports. Plus I think Apple is going to discontinue it soon. I am using an old usb keyboard and mouse but since I like the machine ordered the magic keyboard and mouse. I also added some bose speakers, sound is fantastic.

Really enjoying the new mini.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Glad you are enjoying your Mac Mini. You don't say how old it is. If I remember correctly the 1.4GHz machine is likely from around 2006 or so and if so, that's limited in what OS you can install on it and as such you might run into issues sooner rather than later with applications claiming that you need a newer version of the OS than what will run on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Glad you are enjoying your Mac Mini. You don't say how old it is. If I remember correctly the 1.4GHz machine is likely from around 2006 or so and if so, that's limited in what OS you can install on it and as such you might run into issues sooner rather than later with applications claiming that you need a newer version of the OS than what will run on there.
It's the base Late 2014 model. He got it as a refurb at Apple Store.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ahh, that's good then. Ignore what I said. :)

Reaction score
If you are enjoying it, that's great. I deploy Macs at work, and our marketing team bought a bunch of these for trade show kiosks. I found them quite miserable to set up and use, for any purpose. We scolded the marketing team, and now we're trying to replace them with 8GB+SSD models.

Apple clearly stopped optimizing macOS for 4GB RAM and slow hard disks back around El Capitan and High Sierra absolutely loathes them. This probably explains why that Mac Mini is the only thing Apple sells that still has 4GB RAM, and why people berate Apple for selling the iMacs with non-fusion drives, particularly since those aren't intended to be opened by end-users.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP update:
I sent the 1.4 mini back for a refund. It ran fine for a few days then just started getting spinning beach balls. I can't recommend anyone get that mini.

I've was thinking about just getting a new one 2.6 with 8g ram, almost buying one a few times. Well last night Best-Buy had the 2.6 mini on sale for $599, $100 off. So I bought it and picked it up this morning. It's doing updates now. My Logitech Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse work with the new mini.

P.S. it's still on sale today.

Website note. Every time I come back to this forum it tells me my password is wrong, even though it is right. It makes me reset it again. So if I don't post again that will be why because I have lost patients with that situation.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On sale now. I just bought one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Website note. Every time I come back to this forum it tells me my password is wrong, even though it is right. It makes me reset it again. So if I don't post again that will be why because I have lost patients with that situation.

I'm sure NOT a webmaster or know how this site works, but usually for such sites there's button to check off that says "Remember Me", which should do just that for your next visit.

Unless things have changed and gone security paranoid crazy like some other sites have done or are doing. Just crazy at many sites now!!!

PS: It sounds like that "1.4 mini" was just too underpowered for you, or it needed some TLC!!
But good luck with your newer unit and nice for the money saving, and is it better than any available Apple Refurbished unit?
I always suggest checking at their on-line store when looking for a newer Mac. Often some very good buys but they don't last long!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Congrats, let us know how you like it.

Edit: Combined both your threads regarding the Mac Mini.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.