• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best way to transport an iMac across the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
I'm moving from NY to LA. I'm planning on shipping my 27" iMac with FedEx. I'm purchasing an original box and I'll build another sturdier box around it for extra support.

Is this the normal method people use for such moves? I don't trust the airline to handle the computer. I'm also hiring a cross country mover to move my belongings and furniture, however I worry about the computer in that situation as well. At least with FedEx I can purchase insurance...right? I'm meeting with the movers tomorrow for an estimate, I'll inquire about insurance with them however I doubt they offer it.

Any other advice, like how much to insure with shipping? Does anyone trust UPS or USPS? I'm planning on putting all other computer related stuff with the movers, like secondary monitors, hard drives, etc. I'll carry my TM backup drive with me on the flight along with my macbook pro, so I won't be out of work if there's a snag.

Thanks for any input and advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are several companies that sell packing boxes for computers. I priced out one for a 27" iMac and if I'm remembering correctly it was around $65.00. You should not need to build another box around it if you buy original packing or from one of the companies that sell it.

I can't advise you about shipping insurance since the many moves I have made in the past were always paid for and insured by my employer. I do know that moving companies provide insurance but you may be better off going to a private insurance company other than the carrier.

Unfortunately things get broken and sometimes lost during long distance and even short moves. I have had better luck with long distance moves than with the shorter ones. I guess it's because the packing for long distance moves is more sturdy. Good luck with your move.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It has always driven my wife crazy but I have always kept the boxes from fragile electrical devices (in a collapsed form) so despite the nuisance of storing them whenever we moved I would roll out the original packaging and say wasn't it good I kept this box. My wife would roll her eyes and grudgingly admit ir was handy. Just me i suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I'm with Rod. Best packaging available the original iMac box complete with polystyrene foam packaging inserts.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is (Harry and Rod) that when you purchase a Mac from an Apple Store, you do not get the original boxes or packing. All you get is the show box or packing that is for the sale. Now, if you order direct from Apple and they ship it to you, you will get the original shipping box and packing. Of course, most folks throw that out for one reason or another. Buying original packing from third parties is definitely expensive. However, it is not easy to properly pack to protect a 27" iMac.

When I sent my 21.5" iMac to my son for my granddaughter, I had packing made for it locally. That cost me $15.00 but the shipping charges plus insurance via United Parcel Service was another $60.00.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
Thanks for the feedback. And that's good info chscag, I didn't realize that the box you get when you walk out of a store is different from the box they ship it with. I'll inquire about the box before I purchase it. From the looks of it, it seems like a standard iMac box, 2 styrofoam pieces at the bottom and one at the top, inside of an angled box in the shape of the computer.

Unfortunately I threw out the box it was shipped in, should've kept it!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I'm almost certain that you can use DHL to ship the iMac and buy insurance for it in case anything happens. I'm not too sure about FedEx, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
Just don't forget to do a Carbon Copy Clone (or its equivalent) before you pack it up.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
And just to add to that caution maybe change your login preferences to show users as a list rather than the default "User name and Password"

Reaction score
When I moved across the country, I had the moving company move (three men and a truck) my imac and didn't have any problems. I boxed it up and put bubble wrap and styrofoam around it before the move and had the movers put in a part of the truck away from the furniture. Seemed to work fine and I'd do the same again.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The original post is nearly 4 years old, I imagine the OP found a way of accomplishing the task at hand. 😃

Please look at the thread dates before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.