Best drawing app for iPad

kodakan47

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 15" MBP (Refurbished), iPhone 8, iMac G3 (Rev A, BB), iBook (Clamshell, BB)
Hi all,
I'm an artist who primarily uses an iPad for art, but haven't branched out from the bare basics in terms of drawing apps avaliable on it. I currently use Medibang since it is free but am becoming fed up with the ads. I have been recommended Clip Studio, but am not interested in paying a subscription fee for an app that's an OTP on all other platforms.
Does anyone have any personal recommendations/advice that are either free or low-cost? I also tried experimenting with whichever app Adobe had back in 2016 (I believe it was a smaller version of Photoshop? I forget what it was called) but wasn't a fan of the features.

Reaction score
It may not meet your needs, but if you have kids or students, there is a great adaptation of the classic Kid Pix for iPad. If you used it in the early 90s, it won't look the same, but a lot of features like the rubber stamps remain and the spirit of Kid Pix is still there. It's ad-free and not too expensive--you do pay a little more than a buck or two for it, but it's worth it and is very polished, plus it works well with the Apple Pencil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have Procreate, and Affinity Photo. Ky kids love Procreate and won't even try to use Affinity Photo.

OP
kodakan47

kodakan47

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 15" MBP (Refurbished), iPhone 8, iMac G3 (Rev A, BB), iBook (Clamshell, BB)
It may not meet your needs, but if you have kids or students, there is a great adaptation of the classic Kid Pix for iPad. If you used it in the early 90s, it won't look the same, but a lot of features like the rubber stamps remain and the spirit of Kid Pix is still there. It's ad-free and not too expensive--you do pay a little more than a buck or two for it, but it's worth it and is very polished, plus it works well with the Apple Pencil.
Wow! I used to use Kid Pix all the time back in the early 2000s, awesome to see that its still kicking in some form. Will absolutely look into the iPad version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.