Base/screen stability issue with 24" 2009 iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.93Ghz 640GB Nvidia GT120 2009 model
I've had my 2009 iMac a few weeks now and I love it.

However, I'm a little concerned as to whether the screen/base is less stable than it should be.

It doesn't seem to take much in the way of vibration from my desk for the screen to wobble/rock slightly. Indeed, if I put a single finger behind the top edge of the screen and apply the tiniest amount of pressure, it wobbles slightly.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Or is a trip back to the Apple Store in order?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just take a look at the bottom. Don't have an iMac and haven't looked at them that closely in the store, but if they have rubber feet on the bottom of them, you could be missing one. You can buy replacements for these at any hardware store for a dollar or two.

Reaction score
Im not sure if yours has an issue or not, but mine doesnt rock at all.

I have to actually shake my desk for it to even move a little bit.

Its been very stable. What kind of desk do you have it on? Is it a really weak desk because while the iMac isnt super heavy it is 25pds.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.93Ghz 640GB Nvidia GT120 2009 model
What kind of desk do you have it on? Is it a really weak desk because while the iMac isnt super heavy it is 25pds.

pretty standard table/desk - not heavy duty so I guess that could be the problem.

Don't have an iMac and haven't looked at them that closely in the store, but if they have rubber feet on the bottom of them, you could be missing one.

feet all present and correct :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.