Backlight (keyboard) partially "dark" after coffee spill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (early 2015) MacOS Catalina (December 14/19). Updated to macOS Monterey 12.6.1 (November
Accidental coffee spill seems to have "knocked out" my backlight in the area of the spill. Wondering if I can "clean up"/repair myself?? If not recommended, what options would the forum suggest moving forward?

Any and all input/direction appreciated.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
We have a “Spills” topic heading. Just do a search for spills in the search bar.

Sent from my iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Probably cannot fix it, but if you want to look to see, check out ifixit.com to see if they have a disassembly procedure for you. Good luck. Liquids and computers don't match well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Accidental coffee spill seems to have "knocked out" my backlight in the area of the spill.
Good luck. Liquids and computers don't match well.

I wonder if it would help if Java was enabled or updated???

Sorry, it's been a long busy day... :Smirk:

Or, should that be disabled???

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You've already voided your warranty with the spill, so any fixes that Apple might do for you is going to be out of pocket. So depending on the age of the machine, depending on how capable you are and how much the lack of a backlight is bothering you, decide if you want to take the Macbook apart to see if you can attempt to clean as long as it's not an electric short.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.