• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Back in my workshop at last!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It's bits coming off the lathe at 2000 rpm that you have to be prepared to duck for :eek:. Then it's duck or grouse!

I have a friend who has a huge scar above and below his elbow that is a result of an oak platter he was turning exploding on his lathe... Not a pleasant thing to happen at the time at all... But I guess it could have been worse...

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have had a few bits decide to become 3D jigsaw puzzles Patrick and it's always a bit of a shock. But it's usually a case of trying to take liberties with what you are working with and the wood complaining about it.

Wood, even on a lathe, has a will of its own and if it doesn't like what you are doing then you either work with it or look out for the bits! This I have learned in the 27 or so years I've been butchering it :rolleyes: , but it's still wonderful to work with and it's always a lovely surprise when you stop the lathe and see what you actually have hiding in the lump on the lathe.

Start with this
web Russian olive.jpg
Finish with this
web Russian olive c stick2.jpg

Russian olive, a false olive with a lot of surprises.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Exceptional Jon! Really lovely.

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you Ian. It's a wonderful hobby for me mate.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got thinking about the bowls from a plank and wondered what I could do with a 3 ½" cube of ash and a 5" squre X 1" thick bit of black walnut?

So I did some cutting and glued them up like this and cut it round on my band saw

IMG_7637.JPG

It really was a lovely surprise

IMG_7681.JPG

So now, my brain cell in in overdrive!

Edit : - I forgot to say that it's 8 ½" diametre and 3" deep.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Magic, John.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
If I had the room in the basement (all drums) or the garage which is crammed. If I could have a wish for the next house would be room for wood fun.

Reaction score
...I managed to almost completely pay for it with the pens I madeat t each! ...
OOoooo! I have questions.

Are you still making and selling these? Is the price the same? (Roughly $20 US.)

Let me tell you of a potential market for these. In Jewish families, when your child graduates from school, it is traditional to get them a high quality fountain pen as a symbol of them now being ready to join the work force.

Of course, fountain pens are just about extinct, and today, are more or less useless. But a really beautiful hand-crafted pen would serve the same purpose and be a beautiful graduation gift.

I wouldn't mind purchasing a really pretty one myself! Very nice work!

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Randy, I don't know why, but I didn't get any notification of your answer to this thread?

Yes, I do still make the pens, but they aren't a really special kit, hence the price. Really nice, but an inexpensive kit. There are a load of better and more expensive ones and I had no idea about the Jewish tradition. The price is still about the same, maby slightly more as I haven't had a lot of call for them here recently. If you are inerested then I an sure that I could sort something out for you ;) and thank you for your nice comment!

Edit : -As I said, I didn't get any indication of any replies, so thank you folks.

Groovy, I would be careful for what you wish mate! Wood turning is a very slippery slope and it can pull you into its fascination very quickly :eek:, but it's worth it:cool:

Reaction score
Hi Randy, I don't know why, but I didn't get any notification of your answer to this thread?

I've been having that problem with folks' replies on and off recently too.

Yes, I do still make the pens, but they aren't a really special kit, hence the price. Really nice, but an inexpensive kit. There are a load of better and more expensive ones and I had no idea about the Jewish tradition. The price is still about the same, maby slightly more as I haven't had a lot of call for them here recently. If you are inerested then I an sure that I could sort something out for you ;) and thank you for your nice comment!

I just realized that you are in the U.K. I'd probably want several of your pens but I fear that the shipping costs to the U.S. would about double the price, making them less of a screaming deal.

I have a neighbor a few blocks away who does woodworking. He makes all sorts of cool stuff. The local store for woodworking equipment is like heaven to him. (I'm the same way with motorcycle shops!) Every time that I see him he has learned how to do something easily that he thought was impossible with his equipment, and he can't wait to show me.

He goes to some yard and he gets odd and ends of leftover pieces of exotic wood. He glues and clamps them all together and turns them into incredibly beautiful pieces! I'd take up the hobby, but my garage space is already filled with motorcycle stuff! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd take up the hobby, but my garage space is already filled with motorcycle stuff! :)

@Randy B. Singer

OT, do I dare ask what your current favourite motorbike or ride model is???

From an old early '40s Norton rigid frame 500 single and '60s 650 BSA Flash twin rider from many years ago.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A variation on a theme

IMG_7736.JPG
IMG_7737.JPG

Both made from 4 4 ½" x 1" sq strips of black walnut and 4 3 ½" square X 1" pieces of ash. 8 ¾" and 8 ¼" diametre and 3" deep. It fascinates me how such a size can come from small bits, but I love the effect.

Reaction score
...dare ask what your current favourite motorbike or ride model is???

Yes, you may dare! LOL

I still have my 1975 Honda CB400F. A little 400cc four cylinder sport bike that has become a collectable. It's the bike that got me back and forth to law school everyday across the San Francisco bay bridge. It was the first bike from Japan designed as a café racer. It's value has started to climb recently, and I may decide to part with it soon.

My more modern bike is a Suzuki SV1000N, sort of a poor man's Ducati. It's a 1000cc 90 degree V-twin sport bike.

I don't ride a lot anymore. I'm too old and everything hurts after being on the bike for just a few minutes. For 15 years I was a motorcycle training instructor for the state of California. I've been riding for 53 years.

I like all motorcycles. If I were going to purchase a new one, I'd probably go for an Aprilia 660 Tuono. It has a combination of qualities that a rider could only fantasize about 40 years ago. In about ten to twenty years I expect motorcycles to all be electric. Technology marches on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still have my 1975 Honda CB400F. A little 400cc four cylinder sport bike that has become a collectable....
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/S8xEIhiH6BE/maxresdefault.jpg

Wow, is that ever a nice sharp-looking classic European-style motorbike, and no doubt a lot smoother running and no oil leaks??? ;-)

My more modern bike is a Suzuki SV1000N, sort of a poor man's Ducati. It's a 1000cc 90 degree V-twin sport bike.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/g/grandefuturo_P5020322.jpg

Now that Suzuki model is certainly a lot more aggressive crotch rocket Style and reminds me of my youngest son's Suzuki Katana 600 he had a few years back. I tried riding it and lasted about 20 minutes before my back gave out, but talk about takeoff power and handling, holy smokes... Not for the novice writer.

Both are very nice motorbikes, but different styles and I'm sure you enjoyed both.

My youngest son, now married with two daughters, just recently bought a 2021 Honda Rebel 1000 non-automatic that he thoroughly enjoys, and appreciates the more normal riding stance.
It seems that the Honda Rebel 1000s made in released in Canada are slightly different in several features from those released in the US and some other countries. Some Owen's bike has a pillion seat and back Brace plus fairly full windscreen and aftermarket muffler, but I would prefer a bit quieter toned Muffler myself.

Oh to be young again and Ride With The Wind in your hair... Without Rain or bugs... ;-)

Happy safe riding.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You start off with a bandsaw and a lump of wood the right size and you can do some quite delightful things

IMG_8042.JPG

But I have to be very careful or they tend to multiply!

IMG_8041.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I have to be very careful or they tend to multiply!

These must represent some sort of UK or European long-neck variety but they still look like they could help represent Christmas and Santa which are not that far away. And local CRAFT FAIRS coming up very soon I would think. :sneaky:

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good grief Patrick! Have you never heard of the lesser spotted long knecqued giraffeee reindear? They are specially designed to be able to reach the parts others can't reach and still be horney :cool:

Anyway, don't blame me, I just followed the plans mate ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.