Apple TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
I'm thinking about the new Apple TV 4K and was curious if anyone has connected an Apple TV to a monitor instead of a TV?
Thanks,
Mike

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I haven't tried that with the Apple TV 4K, but I did this with the third-generation model. I only did it for a short time while adjusting the setup to use it with a second TV. Everything worked fine. You should have no trouble doing that, assuming that the monitor has an HDMI connection.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Thank you, much appreciated. I'd set it up on a tv, if dumb tv's were still sold.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have my 4 K model connected to an LG smart TV. I probably would not have purchased the 4K model, but we use YouTube TV, and the LG version of the app has been a little flaky recently.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
That's good to know, thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can connect anything through HDMI and it'll work fine. The obvious issue being if the monitor isn't 4K, then you're not quite utilizing the full capability of the ATV.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
I understand, thanks. I've started researching 4K monitors and it amazes me as to the number of acronym's associated with them.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a LG 4K OLED that I purchased recently and had the opportunity of seeing a couple of things in 4K and boy was it amazing. One of them was Ted Lasso on ATV+ and the other was the ALDS over my Verizon FiOS One cable box.

However, there isn't a ton of true 4K content out there, so most of these boxes just upscale the incoming stream to 4K.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
If there isn't a ton of true 4K content out there, do I actually need a 4K monitor? That's what I'm thinking now. Are there monitors that are popular with the members here on Mac-forums that you are aware of? Then there's the cost; I'm thinking the 4K monitors cost more. But as I mentioned earlier, I've just started my research.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are talking about a monitor as opposed to TV, it all depends on your usage. I replaced my old plasma TV with the LG and got the best since I'm expecting to keep this TV for as long as it lasts.

So I'm future proofing myself. If that isn't of value to you, go with a something less than 4K.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have my 4 K model connected to an LG smart TV. I probably would not have purchased the 4K model, but we use YouTube TV, and the LG version of the app has been a little flaky recently.

Hi Sly - we dumped our cable box/DVR earlier this year and now are subscribed to YouTube TV for those needs - also using an Apple 4K TV attached to a new 50" Sony 4K Bravia (last year's Christmas present) - pleased w/ the change and enjoy YouTube's recording options vs. the old DVR - to date I've replaced a dozen of my DVDs/BDs w/ 4K versions which just look great; also streaming 4K is becoming more available (e.g. Disney+, Amazon, etc.). Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
If you are talking about a monitor as opposed to TV, it all depends on your usage. I replaced my old plasma TV with the LG and got the best since I'm expecting to keep this TV for as long as it lasts.

So I'm future proofing myself. If that isn't of value to you, go with a something less than 4K.
Understood Ashwin, thank you so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
If there isn't a ton of true 4K content out there, do I actually need a 4K monitor? That's what I'm thinking now. Are there monitors that are popular with the members here on Mac-forums that you are aware of? Then there's the cost; I'm thinking the 4K monitors cost more. But as I mentioned earlier, I've just started my research.

Hi Mannheim.. - well, you've received some great info/advice from Sly and Ashwin - I've had a 4K Sony for a year (as described above) - the first 4K UHD purchase I made is below - a 'demonstration' video for the technology, just looks spectacular on a 4K TV (or a 4K monitor) - you might want to visit a local store, like Best Buy, and look at some 4K demos; might help you make a decision. Also, 4K HDTVs will upscale lesser resolution formats, such as BD (1080p) - my bluray videos and a number of HD streaming media purchased from Amazon look great. If you do buy a 4K Apple TV (Apple has a lot of streaming 4K media if one has the right hardware), you may regret later not attaching a 4K video device. Just a few thoughts - ask away if you have further questions. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 10.25.47 AM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say that whether it's worth paying for 4K monitors depends upon how you handle technology. If you tend to keep your technology for a while before replacing it, go for the best monitor you can reasonably afford. That way, as more 4K content becomes available, you're prepared.

On the other hand, if you replace things more often, don't worry too much about 4K content. Some manufacturers are already moving toward 8K content.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Hi Mannheim.. - well, you've received some great info/advice from Sly and Ashwin - I've had a 4K Sony for a year (as described above) - the first 4K UHD purchase I made is below - a 'demonstration' video for the technology, just looks spectacular on a 4K TV (or a 4K monitor) - you might want to visit a local store, like Best Buy, and look at some 4K demos; might help you make a decision. Also, 4K HDTVs will upscale lesser resolution formats, such as BD (1080p) - my bluray videos and a number of HD streaming media purchased from Amazon look great. If you do buy a 4K Apple TV (Apple has a lot of streaming 4K media if one has the right hardware), you may regret later not attaching a 4K video device. Just a few thoughts - ask away if you have further questions. Dave :)

View attachment 35055
Thanks you Dave; all good advice. Much appreciated.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
I'd say that whether it's worth paying for 4K monitors depends upon how you handle technology. If you tend to keep your technology for a while before replacing it, go for the best monitor you can reasonably afford. That way, as more 4K content becomes available, you're prepared.

On the other hand, if you replace things more often, don't worry too much about 4K content. Some manufacturers are already moving toward 8K content.
I do tend to keep technology for a while so I'll start with 4K and go from there. Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you keep your tech for a while, here's another wrinkle for you. I remember reading a few months ago that some 8K TVs are starting to appear; if you go that route be careful. Some TVs out there claim to be 8K but aren't actual 8K sets.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
That's good to know Slydude, thanks. I'll stick with the 4K and call it a day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.